Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
New-to-me 700 .223 I need to learn about
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Folks,
I picked up a used 700 today. .223 Remington caliber, 5-R 1:9 twist 20" barrel (BBL Code WH). Hogue stock with two Aluminum Pillars, threaded and capped varmint profile barrel until the last inch where it tapers to the brake threads. BDL floorplate and adjustable trigger. Hogue Stock has two sling swivels, and is an ugly mottled Blue-Green. Serial RR67343C.
Doom, your rifle has the same look, other than colors and your rear cheek rest. Mine has a jeweled bolt, but the pimples on the grip and for-end are there. I need to spray can the ugly color.
Date of manufacture?
Can any of you experts in all things 700, inform me as to the “name” that Remington gave this rifle? It appears more Electroless Nickel than Stainless Steel?
I don’t use a suppressor, so any particular muzzle break that works good with the .223?
I have seen some newly made 700 ADL’s advertised recently. Did some company buy out the rifle shop at bankruptcy?
Thanks for helping this newbie to the 700.
Kerry
Computer keyboard Bumper Font Publication Input device
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Bicycle part Gun accessory
Computer keyboard Space bar Input device Peripheral Netbook
Peripheral Input device Space bar Font Office equipment
Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Automotive exterior
Computer keyboard Bumper Font Publication Input device

·
Administrator
690 Posts
As for dating you need to go here for help. Several stickies.

The RR prefix puts it in the 2013 to 2020 timeframe. Nothing in the stampings identifies the model. To do that requires info on the stock (picture), whether it has a hinged floor plate on the magazine, and barrel length and muzzle diameter.

AS for the bankruptcy, a private investment firm bought the Ilion, NY factory and intellectual property for products produced there and reopened it under the name RemArms. New models have a RA prefix to the serial number. They licensed the Remington name and model numbers from Vista outdoors which had purchased the ammunition manufacturing and trademarks out of Bankruptcy.

·
Administrator
690 Posts
I went back and from your description you have a standard SPS Tactical model. The give away is the Hogue stock. There are a couple of models that were made and one was a AAC-SD, which I believe had Advanced Armament Corporation stamped on the receiver. I have a 308 from 2012 (or 11). Doesn't have 5-R or threaded muzzle.

Plant Outdoor furniture Road surface Outdoor table Grass

That stock is pillar bedded and has a very flexible fore end. It often gets replaced. I replaced mine with a B&C Light Tactical with aluminum bedding block. You also have the XMarkPro trigger which can be good or bad. A lot of people will ultimately upgrade those. Mine wears a Timney 510. Muzzle brake is a clamp-on Whitt Machine product. The bolt knob is KRG and fits over the stock knob. Cheek rest is Bradley.

As for metal finish I am not sure what Remington uses. There is reference to black metal oxide that I have seen.

It's possible this is a 700P but if that were the case the stock would have a full aluminum block for bedding and probably have a H-S Precision stock.

·
Administrator
690 Posts
There is a book on the 700, "Remington 700 25 years 1962-1987" by John F.Lacy. Not anythingg new that I know of. Much of what I am familiar with comes from the Remington Society of America website and digging into old catalogs. I didn't touch a firearm from about 1970 until 2009. Got back into it and I can't help digging into history.

·
Administrator
690 Posts
WH is August 2014 manufacture. I did not realize that they went to the 5-R rifling on the SPS Tactical that early. The jeweled bolt is also somewhat of a surprise. Remington was known for putting out special runs for big box stores and some other retailers. I think this is one. It's still an SPS Tactical but I think the 5-R and jeweled bolt is special for that model and year. I can't be sure but I think the finish is also special.

Why is it an SPS Tactical? The reason I say that is it has a 20" heavy barrel which was limited to Tactical models and the Hogue stock on the SPS Tactical was only used on that model. One thing is for sure. That is one nice rifle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doom,
Thanks for the information!
Finding stuff about Remington rifles is about as easy as finding info about their pistols. Too bad it has never been condensed into an affordable book like the S&W guys did.
I cleaned this rifle and ran the borescope thru it. It has seen minor use, so once I get a scope mounted, I will see if it likes the large pile of 69 grain Sierra Matchkings that I have had put back from my Service Rifle days with an old Colt HBAR 1:9 upper.
I suspect the stock and possibly the trigger will get r&r, but I'll test them out before I just yank them for no reason.

·
Administrator
690 Posts
I have a 700 Varmint ADL that I bought at Dick's Sporting Goods. I replaced the cheap plastic stock with a Choate Ultimate Varmint stock and that rifle is a shooter. Unfortunately it's a 1 in 12 twist so I shoot 52 Nosler CC, 52 Berger Target and 53 SMK.

Some people worked with that Hogue stock and stiffened the fore end. I couldn't come up with a good way to do it that I thought would hold up. It's really a shame because the feel of the Hogue is outstanding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the trigger would not adjust, no matter which adjustment screw was turned. Timney came to the rescue with a 2-stage trigger that was a 10 minute install, resulting in a 2-pound release without being adjusted. Chronograph work and scope sight-in tomorrow. Between 69, 73 and 77 grain loads, the most accurate load will get further work ups. I’ll see how the new Surefire muzzle brake reduces the tremendous recoil🤕🤔

·
Administrator
690 Posts
I'll be surprised if the 77 is stable out of a 1 in 9 but you may get lucky. Depends on which 73 bullet you are using. That 1 in 9 should well do well with the 69 gr.
Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts