Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post here, thank you for looking.

I posed this question over at The Remington Society, with no clear answer.

I have a left handed Model 700BDL in .30/06 from July of '74. On the right side of the receiver, where normally it reads "Remington" over "Model 700LH" (on left handed rifles), mine only says "Model 700".

Attached is a photo of the right side of my rifle's receiver. Note there is no 'LH' following 'Model 700', and how 'Model 700' is centered under 'Remington', like right handed rifles.

I can't find any other left handed Model 700's without the 'LH' designation; Does anyone have any information on this error, and how prevalent or rare it may be?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The picture is a right handed action? Anyway, my 2 cents; whether the LH is left out and the action is left handed, the factory @ Illion roll standing the action used the wrong roll stamp.
Doesn't add any value unless its a Special Run other than LH or rarer caliber.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.

No, as stated in my first post the picture is of my left handed action.

Note the placement of the serial number at the front of the action, to the right of the logo; The serial number would be on the left of the logo if a right handed rifle; Also note the front locking lug location on the right of the photo, and that the rear of the receiver (on the left side of the picture) is flat, not round.

I agree that the receiver was marked with the incorrect die. I am not interested in any added/lost value, as I don't intend on selling the rifle. I am mostly curious as to how many more may have been incorrectly marked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Update:

I recently purchased another mis-marked rifle, this one serials 1,222 before the rifle I already had.

Also a 1974 rifle, this one from March (AY).

In my searchings, I have found pictures of a correctly marked rifle (Model 700LH) that was barreled in June of '74 (PY). Interestingly, it serials some 40,000+/- after these two I have, though put together between.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts