Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to get a Remington 700 now for over a year or two, and think I have it narrowed down, but I wanted some info from you experts out there on my thoughts.

I really like the look of the 700 SPS Varmint, however here is my problem; I really like the looks of the stock, but have heard from many people on here that the stocks are not good and many seem to reccomend getting something aftermarket. Now, I have seen the Varmint in person, and the feel of the factory stock does not bother me at all, however the feel of the rifle compared to shooting the Varmint (which I have yet to do) are two very different things.

My biggest question here, is if I want the Varmint for the look of its stock, but if the stocks are truely bad, then what model should I get if I were to replace the stock anyways? Or better yet, are there those that believe the factory stock can indeed be just fine for some out there?

Also, on a lesser point, I would like to get a lighter than factory trigger. What do you reccomend?

Finally, I did shoot my buddies 700 in a .308 (which is the caliber I want), and it was amazing. He got his custom built from a place in Kentucky which did a full trigger job, custom stock, different barrel, Leupold scope, and a few other goodies I can't remember. Anyone out there know of this place?

Sorry for the loaded thread, but much thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Get the Varmint and then find yourself a HS Precision take off from someone and call it a day because you got yourself a 700p basically.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Winxp_Man said:
Get the Varmint and then find yourself a HS Precision take off from someone and call it a day because you got yourself a 700p basically.

shot to kill not wound ! .22 S&W model-422---WesternField M500 20GA---.223 Remington R-15---White Oak Armament 6.8 SPC AR-15
Reminton 700 SPS Tactical .308 with HS precision Stock
Saw your reply in the other thread. What would be the advantage of doing this vs just getting a 700p? The average price on a Varmint is around $650. What is the average price on the 700p?

·
Registered
143 Posts
CALL911 said:
Winxp_Man said:

shot to kill not wound ! .22 S&W model-422---WesternField M500 20GA---.223 Remington R-15---White Oak Armament 6.8 SPC AR-15
Saw your reply in the other thread. What would be the advantage of doing this vs just getting a 700p? The average price on a Varmint is around $650. What is the average price on the 700p?
You are going to end up with the same rifle at approximately the same cost. My only problem with the 700P is I don't like the palm swell on the stock. Again that's just my personal preference. It's a great set up. I think it's more like one stop shopping vs two stop shopping.
Personally I would spend the trigger money on my scope and try to get the best I could afford. The triggers on the P and Varmint should both
be adjustable and are pretty good as is. Learning and practicing proper shooting technique is what makes all of this work regardless of what
rifle you buy. 700 whatevers are pretty amazing as far as accuracy right out of the box. Again it's the shooter that makes it happen.

Refering to an early post Paladin submitted, and I think he will back me up on this. In the sniper training I've attended and the real life snipers I've
had the good fortune to shoot with, I have seen bone stock, or re stocked, 700 P's, Tacticals, Varmints, Ltr's etc, hang with the Surgeons and GAPS.
Not as slick, nice, and cool, they are all pretty impressive, but I've seen 700's shoot with them at long range if the shooter did his part.

I think it comes down to what you want to spend and what increments you want to spend it in. Either way you will end up with a rifle that will
amaze the **** out of you in terms of accuracy. As your skills develop and improve you can always upgrade to a custom build later. You are not
at all disadvantaged with an off the shelf 700 in the long range shooting game.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I think I speak for everyone in welcoming you to the forum and we are all here to help. SO ASK!!!!!!LOL

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you like the stock, then why worry about what someone else thinks? Yeah, the stock that comes with the SPS is injection molded, and is not up to the standards of a McMillan or Manners, but is that going to be a problem for you? My advice is to buy the SPS, shoot the crap out of it, and if you don't like it, then worry about souping it up.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
CALL911 said:
Winxp_Man said:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41046

Search the net bro you will find deals all the time ;)
Also if I'm not mistaking check the Remington web site cause I'm not sure but there maybe some extra 30-40 dollars in rebates for the sps varmint rifle.

And the advantage of buying this vs the 700p would be that like the other guys before me stated you choose what ever stock you like and feel comfortable with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts