Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
New-to-me 700 .223 I need to learn about
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 700 rifle in lightly used condition. It is a .223 Remington with 5-R 1:9 rifling, a muzzle thread protector, jeweled bolt, and an adjustable factory trigger that would not adjust from its 4.5lb weight. The finish appears similar to Metalife electroless nickel.
I installed a Timney Calvin Elite that breaks at 2.2lbs, a Surefire muzzle break and a cheap bipod. I loaded 50 rounds each of 69gr. SMK, 73gr. Hornady ELD-Match and 77gr. SMK.
Initial sight-in was at 100 yards. The best group is shown, provided by the 73gr. ELD-M. The 69gr. Sierra was in second place, with the 77gr. Sierra providing a 1-inch group.
My range is steel after the 100 yard paper stand, so I can’t tell if the heavy-for-twist 77gr. bullets would end up tumbling. They didn’t have any problem hitting the steel plates out to my range’s 400 yard maximum distance.
I’ll test the 77gr. Sierras with different velocities and powders, to see if they will group better.
In the immediate future, I’ll stick with the 73gr. Hornady ELD-M. The next range test for this rifle will see how far out I can impact steel accurately. Now that the scope is ready, I’ll try to stretch the rifle at a 1-mile range I belong to.
Finger Font Thumb Publication Circle

Colorfulness Ruler Line Font Circle
Blue Gas Wood Mesh Grass

·
Registered
162 Posts
Enjoyed your range report and testing; you know your stuff and setting up 700's to shoot like Bob does on his rifles.

I have a 2014 700 special run M-40 style in .223 1-9 5R rifling, I tried 69's, just MOA, barrel likes 60 V Max's in front of 24.5 gr Varget. I wished bought a 6.5 Creed 2 years ago while the prices were right before Remington Illion filed their last bankruptcy.

The problem now even if the right 700 fell in your lap obtaining reloading components/powder/primers to test loads.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts