Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
What specifically are you talking about? The silver bolt body or the locking lugs? I do really see any damage that is not tolerable or normal wear! But who am I to say? :) Just my personal opinion!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lug is what was concerned about it’s only been shot three times but the bolt got stuck and I had to pull hard to open it. I was worried I damaged it to where it wouldn’t lock up good. Thanks for responding sir.

· Administrator
726 Posts
I would be more concerned about the hard extraction. Were you shooting factory ammunition or handholds. Also do you know the vintage of the rifle? Year of manufacture?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brand new Remington 700 .30-06 only had 3 rounds through it and I have an M-16 mini extractor on the bolt. Yes it is shooting factory ammo. It is a remarms 700 not sure of exact year.

· Administrator
726 Posts
Is this a 700 Alpha 1 or is the extractor fitted on an older design bolt?

· Administrator
726 Posts
I can only speculate as I haven't had that modification done. If this were my rifle I would first try cycling the bolt with no round chamber it should slide back with no resistance. Next I would rechamber fired rounds and see if the cases extract easily. If it does then the issue may be overpressure but this requires reading the brass and some measurements that you probably don't have the tools for unless you reload. The groove with the marks is a guide to keep the bolt steady when cycling.

I think the bolt head was removed when the GS machined the bolt for the new extractor. It is a shame you didn't check the function of the rifle before have the work done. It's possible you have an issue with primary extraction which was a problem in latter 700's built prior to the 2020 bankruptcy.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My FFL guy sighted it in and shot the three shot group. He didn’t mention having any trouble with cycling the bolt or anything. He said everything went well I had a Timney trigger install as well. Thanks I appreciate all your insight as I learn more about this rifle. I guess this is my learning process. I like the 700 Remington even though I am a control round feed guy at heart. I also have a Winchester M70 super grade. I appreciate your knowledge and time on this subject.

· Registered
18 Posts
I am familiar with the m-16 extracter modification as I one had one, which I got rid of after learning of the safety hazard. Most respectable gunsmiths refuse to do the modification because if the liability. The "three rings of steel" is compromised and Remington disallows any resposibility.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am sure Remington won’t continue to warranty the rifle because of the modification but most people I have talked to have had it done with no issues. I am ok with that as long as my rifle will extract my cases without trouble. Haven’t shot it since the modification but I will see for myself how it works out for me. There are a lot of gunsmiths doing this modification can’t imagine they would if they would be held responsible for it. But anything is possible I assume.

· Administrator
726 Posts
I don't understand the reason behind the extractor modification. As for most people not having an issue, that is not a very positive endorsement for a non-engineered modification of a component that is part of pressure/force containing system I'm relying on the prevent the bolt from being ejected directly into my face. I have two 700's with rivitless extractors and I will admit the first one had to have a new extractor which I easily installed and neither have had a problem since.

Unless the Serial Number on the rifle begins with RA RemArms will disavow any warranty on a rifle. During the 2020 bankruptcy the old Remington Arms Company was dissolved and the company known as RemArms purchased only the factory and intellectual property for the the firearms produced in the Ilion NY facility. They assumed no liability for anything from the Remington Arms Company. In fact, RemArms does not own the trademarks for the use of Remington 700, etc as Vista Outdoors owns those trademarks and licenses the use to RemArms.

Reactions: GeoW

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah it’s not a good endorsement and yes I have a remarms 700. It’s just a problem I wanted to avoid with extraction and you hear guys talk about their extraction issues I am a preventative maintenance type of guy. If I don’t have to go through something potentially I will do what I have to do I don’t have that problem. I didn’t know this information about rearms I appreciate you sharing that with me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts