Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I am an absolute newbie! I just got my Remingtom 700 SPS Varvint in .223. I got my hands on a new 700 SPS Tactical stock. I've mounted my scope, a Leupold AR 3x9x40mm But I have a question about the bolt face (se attached photos. What is the funny curved piece of flash inside the opening? How do I get rid of it?

Thanks

Jackpot

·
Registered
109 Posts
DO NOT GET RID OF IT!!! That is the extractor, it removes the spent (if it was fired) case from the chamber. Just leave it where it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whew! Thank you VERY MUCH! Like I said, I am an absolute newbie... :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jackpot

·
Registered
57 Posts
Use a 1/8" silicone carbide grinding stone on a Dremel..
Sorry, had do!
Really, looking at that closely I can see why you would think it was a manufacturing error or something.
Not exactly the most even looking thing!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I really like the drawing hahahaha and I dont mean this in a bad way. Most people I seen post this kind of pics will say do I need to take this off and no details given of what this is hahaha. But you do want to keep that on there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
CUT IT OFF!!!!! After every shot just tilt the barrel up like a break open 12gauge and the brass will come right out...:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FrankCastle said:
Use a 1/8" silicone carbide grinding stone on a Dremel..
Not exactly the most even looking thing!
That's what I thought, it looks a little ragged so I thought it was excess...
This is my second rifle (I'm a 1911 shooter), and my AR15 bolt doesn't have that same little piece of metal.

Thanks again,

Jackpot

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
AR-15 have extractors also. Not the same exact type but same concept

here is a picture.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly, not a ragged piece of metal... That'll teach me.

·
Registered
795 Posts
That extractor acts sorts like a pivot. Notice the button looking thing on the opposite side... slowly eject an empty cast once and notice it "rotates" out and way from the chamber.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts