Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so it only makes sense that since i was the one who suggested this subforum and since i just received my SPS Varmint in 308 today that i share. i recently sold my Savage 11FCNS in 22-250 as i shot the barrel out. it was my coyote hunter rifle. the price of rebarreling with a good barrel was almost the cost of the SPS-V. and since the aftermarket support for Savage is not what it is for Remys i got a Remy. this is goint to be primarily a range gun.
i do plan on getting another 22-250 for next season and will probably get a Savage, they are very nice rifles. i just won't go to the range and shoot the 22-250 as a range gun to wear out the barrel in 3 years again. i ordered a B&C A2 stock in green as i knew the factory one would just not do. the rifle and stock both came today. got the rifle for $549 shipped online plus $50 background/transfer fee. with the $75 mail in rebate for the SPS i will have payed $524 total. still waiting for my base and rings; they should be here in the next few days. also all the nice new reloading equipment for the 308 caliber. these pics aren't the greatest as they were shot indoors at night. will get new ones up hopefully tomorrow.

Savage i sold.. my first rifle ever.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i originally wanted the M40 one but couldn't find it at the time. i am very happy with th A2. do wish the grip had some texture to it. maybe a future project.

·
Registered
1 Posts
banks said:
so it only makes sense that since i was the one who suggested this subforum and since i just received my SPS Varmint in 308 today that i share. i recently sold my Savage 11FCNS in 22-250 as i shot the barrel out. it was my coyote hunter rifle. the price of rebarreling with a good barrel was almost the cost of the SPS-V. and since the aftermarket support for Savage is not what it is for Remys i got a Remy. this is goint to be primarily a range gun.
i do plan on getting another 22-250 for next season and will probably get a Savage, they are very nice rifles. i just won't go to the range and shoot the 22-250 as a range gun to wear out the barrel in 3 years again. i ordered a B&C A2 stock in green as i knew the factory one would just not do. the rifle and stock both came today. got the rifle for $549 shipped online plus $50 background/transfer fee. with the $75 mail in rebate for the SPS i will have payed $524 total. still waiting for my base and rings; they should be here in the next few days. also all the nice new reloading equipment for the 308 caliber. these pics aren't the greatest as they were shot indoors at night. will get new ones up hopefully tomorrow.

Savage i sold.. my first rifle ever.

as the time being passed there category got changed and a lot of the changes became in it.!! :p look at the white gun with nossell.. ahh i love it..!! :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice pics and good price.

I paid $570 for my SPS Tactical .308. I was looking at getting the B&C A-2 or the A-5 stock. I've looked at them all and have picked out those two. Stocky Stocks has a excellent buy on them.

Three weeks after buying my rifle, the same store in my area (Sportsman's Warehouse) is selling the SPS Varmint .308 for $449. I could have saved money but wanted the 20" barrel for packing around in the hills.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good luck on Stockys. they're kind of hit or miss with their customer service. if your gonna pay the price for the A5 your getting into McMillan territory. which means i suggest saving another $100 and get a McMillan. the B&C A5 is very nice though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When you say you shot the barrel out ....... what indications substantiate that fact? Is something like the rifleing or lands measured in some way? How many rounds (approx or wild guess) does it take down the pipe before such a thing happens?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Marty said:
When you say you shot the barrel out ....... what indications substantiate that fact? Is something like the rifleing or lands measured in some way? How many rounds (approx or wild guess) does it take down the pipe before such a thing happens?
A lot of it has to do with the specific caliber, particular load and # of rounds down range. Over bore cartridges are usually rough on a barrel. You will notice the throat erod away and eventually start developing free bore in the barrel. Accuracy will suffer, cleaning intervals will increase but if your still not sure have someone bore scope it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts