Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning!

I'm a long time rifle nut but have just recently got bitten by the tactical bug and I've been stimulating the economy fairly well. Over the weekend I ordered the following:

Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD
B&C A5
Harris Bipod swivel 6-9
Wyatt's Mag conversion w/ 10 round mags
20 MOA picatinny rail
KRG oversize bolt knob (for now)
Federal GMM 168gr
Prvi SMK 168gr

I have a couple Zeiss scopes so I'll use one of them for now. And I've started the paperwork to obtain a suppressor. I'm really looking forward to this setup and just having fun putting it all together. I have a bench gun in 30-338 and a silhouette gun in 25-06 for Sporting Class so I have done quite a bit of long range plinking. Both are older customs built on 03-A3 actions. This will be my first 700.

Here is my question:

I live near San Antonio and there is a company there that does Hydro graphic coatings. Anyone have any experience with this type of coating? Just curious as to durability, etc. They had a booth at a recent gun show and it looks very impressive. And of course according to the rep it's the most durable thing next to diamonds. (Sarcasm added for emphasis) Cost is not prohibitive and the stock I ordered is Tan w/ black web so it won't need the coating which will save quite a bit.

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
1st off welcome! You wont be disappointed with your setup. My stick is almost identical to what your ordering and it shoots .242 at 100yards all day long with a bipod and a rolled up sock for the rear. FGMM 168gr and 175gr smk will do ya great until you start to reload. Once you do, let me know and I'll gladly share my load data with you.

As far as the coating goes I've seen it at a show here in Miami too. The graphics are amazing and the prices are right. I know they have used a similar process in custom cars for a short while but I don't know how it will hold up on the rifle. I'm willing to wager that it's more durable than krylon because when dipped it's one solid layer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and welcome, I appreciate it. I've been doing more research on the Hydro dipping and the process uses the same basecoat and clear coat as used in painting vehicles. This being the case with a matte finish it should be fairly durable with average care. Many gun manufacturers are offering it on their production guns so i assume it's somewhat proven. I may delve in and buy a DIY kit for some of my pistols and scopes for grins and giggles and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
477 Posts
welcome. rifle sounds like it should shoot real nice. toss up some pics when you get it!

never heard of the hydro coating, sounds cool. i'm a duracoat fan myself. i did my SKS and my mossberg 500 with it. about to order some more to do my 700. you can get a sprayer from home depot for it for around $10. that's what i'd do, but i'd rather spend money on more bullets than some fancy coating. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome 762. The Duracoat is definitely tried and trued for sure. The Hydro dipping has some unbelievable patterns. Any camo and some extreme stuff too. I'll post pics as soon as everything arrives and I start the build process.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts