Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot a doe from 247 yards with my SPS during rifle season this year and was upset that I didn't fill my buck tag, but I just had to put down an injured buck with my patrol rifle (two fast rounds in the vitals from 10 feet away). Should I count this as "getting a buck" this year?

·
Registered
403 Posts
PALADIN said:
Shot a doe from 247 yards with my SPS during rifle season this year and was upset that I didn't fill my buck tag, but I just had to put down an injured buck with my patrol rifle (two fast rounds in the vitals from 10 feet away). Should I count this as "getting a buck" this year?
Only if you got to harvest the kill. Would fish and feathers let you do that in your state?

·
Registered
526 Posts
PALADIN said:
Yup!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not harvest the kill. An old man (A Vietnam vet) and his grandson were the ones who actually called in the paralyzed deer and wanted to harvest the meat. After I contacted them, I put two in the deer's vitals and then contacted a county unit to come bring them a road kill/salvage tag so they could take the deer. I didn't keep it, but it was my kill. So does it count? Vote honestly. I say NO, because I wasn't hunting and it's pretty easy to smoke a deer from 10 feet with a patrol rifle. Not really hunting if you ask me. But did I "get my buck" for the year?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
A good friend of mine was in the state of Washington and killed a spike with his Glock 20- 10mm by shooting it in the neck......... He didn't plan on hunting but while driving back home (he had his 10mm loaded because he has a CCW for it) and saw this nice spike on the side of the road and took a crack at it and it was funny cause he even had his tag with him for some weird reason.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be illegal in Kansas probably. Sounds kind of fun though, as long as you put a good shot on it and killed it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Around here the game warden has a dummy buck with a head that moves up and down. He puts this out in a field and waits for anyone to shoot it from the road. Shooting deer from the road is not legal around here. I've been tempted myself, but haven't done it......yet.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be kind of a dangerous assignment if you think about it. You're sitting off (probably in a truck hidden somewhere) and somebody takes a shot at your fake buck... then off you go chasing someone who you know has a loaded weapon - and they know that if they're caught, they'll lose their truck, gun, do some jail time, pay a ton of money and won't be able to hunt for probably 10 years or longer. Yep, I'd love that assignment.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
PALADIN said:
That would be illegal in Kansas probably. Sounds kind of fun though, as long as you put a good shot on it and killed it.

- SPS Tactical .308 / M&P 15T / Remington 870 Tactical / Glock 22 .40 -

Ya its ok in the state of Washington. He gave it a neck shot and that buck just buckled and never got up. he was about 15-20 yards away from the buck.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While driving to hunting spots before shooting light, I've actually drawn my Glock twice on different bucks that I saw stopped by the side of the road - less than 15 yards from my truck. That would be a big no no here, but I've still gotten ready for the shot then wised up. I'd probably lose my badge, truck, gun, all that stuff. Not worth it. I say that now, until I'm tested again with an even bigger buck off the side of the road...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
hahahahahaha that dam temptation hehehehe.

My friend was out of his truck though... the funny part is that his truck is a manual trans mission and he got out and forgot to pull the e-brake and not looking his truck started rolling down hill........

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a good story. With all that going on... he should have pulled the trigger. Why not?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
He was to far from the buck and didnt have time to think of all the possibilities and just reacted.............. his buddy that was behind him with his own truck was laughing his ass off when he saw the whole situation unfold in front of him....................

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's why you need to bring a video camera on hunts... Instant blackmail...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Actually, a fellow had his rifle out the window of his truck and had taken two shots at the fake deer, but it would not fall. The game warden had snuck up to the passenger side window and leaned in and called the shooter by name and said "Harry, when you get finished shooting I need to take you to jail."

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's awesome.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Some guys I know decided to play a trick on the game warden. They caught a 10 foot aligator, taped up his mouth and hauled it to the game wardens house that night. They chained it to a tree in his front yard and cut the tape. :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts