Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking about getting a SPS Tac but I am a little worried I am reading on other web sites that Rem quality has slipped? and maybe I should think about something ells? What are your thoughts on Remington now as far as out of the box quality and second do most of them shoot real good out of the box or did most of you have to get them worked on to make them shoot good?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Kestral said:
So I was thinking about getting a SPS Tac but I am a little worried I am reading on other web sites that Rem quality has slipped? and maybe I should think about something ells? What are your thoughts on Remington now as far as out of the box quality and second do most of them shoot real good out of the box or did most of you have to get them worked on to make them shoot good?

I know that 308isgreat shot about .75 with the stock rifle before changing out the stock. They shoot really really good even stock.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
Kestral said:

I know that 308isgreat shot about .75 with the stock rifle before changing out the stock. They shoot really really good even stock.
Woooops I felt my ears burning!....lol!The SPS Tacticals are damn good out of the box and would be a great platform to build from. My rifle is more accurate then the shooter, but I'm getting better with practice. I think you would be very suprised and pleased if you purchased one! :D

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
308isgreat said:
Winxp_Man said:
Kestral said:
Woooops I felt my ears burning!....lol!The SPS Tacticals are damn good out of the box and would be a great platform to build from. My rifle is more accurate then the shooter, but I'm getting better with practice. I think you would be very suprised and pleased if you purchased one!
Hahahahaha ................... :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess the next question is should I get one in 308 or 223? I don't plan on hunting with it I have a 30-06 rifle I use for that so I will just use it to punch paper. Will the 223 model also shoot 5.56? I know most AR's will but I don't know about bolt guns?

By the way the longest range around here is 200 yards so that will be the max I will be shooting

·
Registered
403 Posts
Kestral said:
I guess the next question is should I get one in 308 or 223? I don't plan on hunting with it I have a 30-06 rifle I use for that so I will just use it to punch paper. Will the 223 model also shoot 5.56? I know most AR's will but I don't know about bolt guns?

By the way the longest range around here is 200 yards so that will be the max I will be shooting
If I had a pick I would go with the .308 because of the accuracy of this caliber. My input may sound a little biased but I have a Noveske N4 Recce AR-15 so my needs for a .223 are covered. .223 would be cheaper to operate and reload, but the benifits of the .308 in my opinion outweigh the .223 in hunting (although you didn't need another hunting rifle), long range target whether paper or steel and accuracy. Now I know that if an AR-15 is chambered for 5.56 NATO you can shoot either .223 or 5.56, but if you have a .223 chamber then they strongly suggest that you dont shoot 5.56 because of the higher operating pressures this round produces. If I had a 700 SPS Tactical chambered in .223 then I wouldn't feed it 5.56 NATO rounds because of the reasons stated above. Again its all a matter of preference and what you are looking to get out of the rifle.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ok 308isgreat I will try not to be bias :D hehe

I would go with the .308 because of the range that you can get out of it vs the .223

And great post 308 :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hey mate. I have one but havent shot it with the standard stock, I had a HS Police stock waiting for it but I will try it out one day. If you switch the stock out to something like a 700P take off (HS Police) or B&C Light Tactical, you wil have a great shooting rifle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine shot great with the factory stock, but does a little better with the B&C.
I've contemplated getting one in .223 also, but haven't yet.

I like the .308 just because I had planned to shoot 600-1000yds and even at closer distances the wind isn't as much of a factor as with the .223

·
Registered
143 Posts
Kestral said:
Like any mass produced product I'm sure defective ones get out now and then. When that happens in the firearms community the
boards light up with stories both good and bad. I have the SPS Tactical in 308 and 223 and they were both sub MOA with factory ammo
right out of the box. They both are in HS stocks now which helped even more. Both stocks were factory take offs and each cost less than two hundred bucks. One from Ebay and one from a gunshow.

As far as which caliber that just depends on what you want to do with it. If I could only choose one I would say 308 because it's just more versatile.
I do shoot my 223 a lot because it's cheaper to shoot and is the exact duplicate of my 308. I can practice basic technique and fundamentals which
are the same regardless of what rifle you shoot. It's just cheaper to practice with. The 308 will do a 1000 yards whereas the 223 is about maxed
at 600 yards with the 20 inch barrels. Playing the wind is more difficult with the 223 at longer ranges but again that will make you a better shooter.

The only real work that I've done with either was working up a handload for each. In my opinion, for a six hundred dollar investment, or less, you will be buying a rifle that will out shoot 95 percent of the shooters out there bone stock. I think you will find that anything you want to do to it, load you want to shoot in it, or whatever, there is someone on this board that has done it and will help you. You will probably find that their advice will be about the same as everyone else because these rifles are just that tried, true, and consistent. With that said you will be well ahead of the learning curve with the SPS Tactical and being a member of this group. Good luck with it and feel free to ask questions and let us know how you progress.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think there quality control has come up. My recent AAC-SD was much improved over the VSSF I bought about 95 and the Ultramag I got about 2000.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
BadKarma said:
Kestral said:
Like any mass produced product I'm sure defective ones get out now and then. When that happens in the firearms community the
boards light up with stories both good and bad. I have the SPS Tactical in 308 and 223 and they were both sub MOA with factory ammo
right out of the box. They both are in HS stocks now which helped even more. Both stocks were factory take offs and each cost less than two hundred bucks. One from Ebay and one from a gunshow.

As far as which caliber that just depends on what you want to do with it. If I could only choose one I would say 308 because it's just more versatile.
I do shoot my 223 a lot because it's cheaper to shoot and is the exact duplicate of my 308. I can practice basic technique and fundamentals which
are the same regardless of what rifle you shoot. It's just cheaper to practice with. The 308 will do a 1000 yards whereas the 223 is about maxed
at 600 yards with the 20 inch barrels. Playing the wind is more difficult with the 223 at longer ranges but again that will make you a better shooter.

The only real work that I've done with either was working up a handload for each. In my opinion, for a six hundred dollar investment, or less, you will be buying a rifle that will out shoot 95 percent of the shooters out there bone stock. I think you will find that anything you want to do to it, load you want to shoot in it, or whatever, there is someone on this board that has done it and will help you. You will probably find that their advice will be about the same as everyone else because these rifles are just that tried, true, and consistent. With that said you will be well ahead of the learning curve with the SPS Tactical and being a member of this group. Good luck with it and feel free to ask questions and let us know how you progress.

well said :D you just had to say it better than everyone else huh? lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
BadKarma said:
Kestral said:

well said :D you just had to say it better than everyone else huh? lol
If it's any consolation I had to take a nap right after I wrote that. LOL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my SPS Tactical a bit over a month ago. I got it home and mounted a scope on it. I tried to bore sight it and almost ran out of windage with the scope that I had trying to get it centered. It turned out that my mount holes were drilled way off center, so I got a set of Burris Signature Zee rings to compensate for the 30 minutes of adjustment that I would have needed to make to correct for the misaligned mount holes. I spent my first day at the range digging brass out of the rifle because my extractor was bad. I got home, swabbed the bore and ordered a new extractor. A couple of days later, when I got the extractor in, I pulled the rifle out and it was covered with light surface rust. Did I get a lemon? I don't know. I've been told that the SPS Tactical is Remington's "cheap" tactical rifle and everything on it is second rate, from the fit to the finish. I kind of believe it. I do need to get the mount holes redrilled. I'm also going to need to get it refinished. Since I got the rifle, I've added an HS Precision stock and a Timney trigger. To tell the truth, I really like the rifle, but if I had it to do again, considering that I had to get a new stock and trigger anyway, I would just get an action, an LTR pull off barrel and slap it together with the trigger and stock. I would have saved myself a couple hundred bucks.

The upside is that the rifle is a shooter. Since I got my load worked out, most groups are under .5" at 100 yards.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts