Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking this site for a couple weeks now and finally decided to pull the trigger (no pun intended) on an SPS Tactical 308. I haven't owned a bolt action rifle in 20 years (when I was 16 years old), but wanted to get back into the sport of shooting and also have the capability of hunting with this purchase. The reason I bought this model was because I was able to get a law enforcement discount. I have friends that hunt religiously (I haven't been in many years) and have asked for their recommendations as far as optics. I have narrowed my search to a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40, which can be purchased for around $400. Any opinions or feedback on this scope matched with this gun? What rings or mounting system do you think I should look at? LaRue is a local company and is what I use on my duty AR. Is anyone using their Picatinny rail? http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=364

I'm also considering a few extras that I've read good things about. Tac Ops cheek pad, Harris Bipod (maybe) and possibly a muzzle brake in the near future.

Great site BTW. I look forward to learning more.

Forgot to mention, I don't really want to spend an arm and a leg on optics. I'll settle for just an arm, so $400 sounds good to me.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
First off Welcome to the forum ! :)

I use the EGW 20 MOA base and Warne 30mm low steel scope rings and all this works perfect even for hunting use.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I certainly like the price of the EGW compared to the LaRue.

·
Registered
409 Posts
THUGHUNTER, I love the name!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I've been using it for many years on many different forums throughout the internet world.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey welcome to the site and nice choice of rifle! I had concidered LaRue as well because I as well have a few LaRue goodies on my AR-15 plus I'm a sucker for their Dillo dry rub and other SWAG they send! :D Like many of us here I opted for the EGW base and never regreted the purchase one bit. For the price it is a quality base without the possibility of loosing another limb so to speak. The rings I use are Leupold QRW quick release medium height matte rings and really work well with my SPS Tac set up. The beauty of the rings is the ability to remove the optic quickly and maintain sight zero when reattached. Little more pricy , but I guess my preference. Anyway great buy and if your stick is anything like mine you will be amazed on its accuracy for a production rifle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If you plan on shooting long distance then you will want the 20 MOA version

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's considered long where I would need the 20? Over 500?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Yes, plus trust me once you go long you never go back hahahahaha you will keep pushing until you can reach the target anymore. Its like crack brother :D

·
Registered
409 Posts
You could probably get 700-800 yards without the MOA mount, depending on your scope. 500 shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
My mil system on my scope and pushing 2575 FPS with 175 SMK's will put me out to 630 + or -

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just placed an order for the EGW 20 MOA after reading a few good reviews and you just can't beat the price compared to some of the others offered. Trying to narrow down some rings now. I want something with a quick disconnect or tactical lever. The Leupolds are surely nice.

·
Registered
403 Posts
ThugHunter said:
I just placed an order for the EGW 20 MOA after reading a few good reviews and you just can't beat the price compared to some of the others offered. Trying to narrow down some rings now. I want something with a quick disconnect or tactical lever. The Leupolds are surely nice.
The Leupold QRW rings work very well! Heres a pic of them on the EGW base.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I will end up getting those. I found them on budsgunshop.com for $51. Do you know of any other place where they're cheaper?

I'm also curious as to why you chose the medium instead of low. I've always heard that the lower the better. I guess ultimately it will depend on the scope you choose.

·
Registered
403 Posts
ThugHunter said:
I think I will end up getting those. I found them on budsgunshop.com for $51. Do you know of any other place where they're cheaper?

I'm also curious as to why you chose the medium instead of low. I've always heard that the lower the better. I guess ultimately it will depend on the scope you choose.
That a good price. I looked around a bit and you bested me by $5 bucks....Medium seem to work better for me and your correct that some scopes may demand a taller or shorter ring set. It all depends on your cheek weld and shooting style too....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to everyone who assisted with answers and sorry for all the questions, but I'm a complete newb when it comes to equipping a bolt rifle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So it's been a couple weeks of research and I finally decided on the setup.

Millett 4-16x50 TRS-1 (I just couldn't find another scope that beat the price and got great reviews)
Burris XTR Lows (originally ordered Leupold QRW's, but got an email stating they were backordered)
Harris 6-9 Swivel/Notch Leg Bipod

These items should be here tomorrow according to UPS. I'll mount them tomorrow depending on what time they get here.

My bolt it currently getting worked on. I'm having the Badger Ordnance tactical bolt knob installed by a professional gunsmith. It should be done later this week.

So, I may be able to take the gun out on Saturday, which is my only day off this week. If I can't get out Saturday, I'll be aiming for T/W/TH next week. I've been patient, but it's time to finally shoot this rifle. This build will add up to around $1100, including the tac knob install. I'll post pics when everything is mounted/installed.

·
Registered
403 Posts
When you get the project together........Post the pictures please! :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just about done. The bolt is still at the gunsmith getting the tac knob installed. I ordered an MSP anti cant device this morning. I just got done bore sighting (old school way). Gonna start out at 25 yds. to see how close I was able to get it. Hopefully I'll be able to move out to 100 yds in just a couple shots. Zero it within a couple shots would be nice and then start having some fun shooting this rifle.

I added more pics in the pics thread.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts