Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lathe adventures.

Starting our own thread here so we dont thread jack Ozzie's video thread.

Special thanks to Shiraz at Grizzly.com.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Gunsmith-s-Bench-Top-Lathe-with-Stand/G4003G

It was the stand out for entry level lathes in our bid to become more self sufficient. Obviously a Bridgeport or Southbend would be ideal but the extreme cost of their equipment eliminated them at this time. Las Vegas' lack of quality gunsmiths that can/will accommodate precision rifles with less than 6mo turn around time was a driving force behind our decision.

We all have put in a great deal of time, effort and expense in to our shooting and competing but it appears to be paying off. Hopefully this new gunsmithing/ rifle building endeavor will be just as fun and rewarding. After months of reading, watching you tube vids and picking the brains of the experienced, its now time to practice hands on with steel stock and re-learn the machine. It will be a while before any of us even get close to building a rifle but that day is now one step closer.

Looking forward to pizza, beer and many afternoons spent in the 110F garage working on new projects.

Even though its one of the smaller lathes out there it still weighs in around 1500lbs. I think every one should have a crane... or at least have a friend with one :thumbup1:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Threading a piece of stainless stock for a muzzle break.

Bill, Joe and I spent a few hours in the garage with the lathe this afternoon. We finally got it leveled and made sure the ways were parallel to each other. The centers lined up as well as anyone could ask from the factory.

Once we finished that we gave a shot at threading our simulated barrel for a break. It took about 2 hours for us to get the stock as true as we could going off the OD of the stock. Then we turned it down to a smaller diameter than the break calls for to account for growth while threading. Watching the threading dial and starting at the exact same point produced some fine threads.

Next time we will do it all over again then practice clocking the break...

*This is a few weeks progression form time of lathe arrival to now.*

·
Registered
277 Posts
MAN, THAT IS COOLER THAN A NEW HD FLAT SCREEN TV!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, Cool TJ too!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
B0BK4T said:
MAN, THAT IS COOLER THAN A NEW HD FLAT SCREEN TV!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, Cool TJ too!

Lol yes, yes it is. I havent even turned on my TV since the lathe arrived a few weeks ago.

In the 2nd picture there is a set of 35" MTRs and a ford 9" axle siting in that pile of junk to the left of the lathe.... very soon they will be on the jeep and it will be the go any where shooting rig.:D

·
Registered
277 Posts
Man I like the way you Sin City boys think! Yeah, I would probably not eat, watch tv, work, sleep or anything else. That thing is straight up KEWL as hell.

I just sold my TJ, RE 7.5" LongArm rollin on IROK 37's. You guys live in the perfect place for guns and wheelin.

BTW that thing is gonna come in handy for both those hobbies! :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
B0BK4T said:
Man I like the way you Sin City boys think! Yeah, I would probably not eat, watch tv, work, sleep or anything else. That thing is straight up KEWL as hell.

I just sold my TJ, RE 7.5" LongArm rollin on IROK 37's. You guys live in the perfect place for guns and wheelin.

BTW that thing is gonna come in handy for both those hobbies! :D
YES! Were already brain storming parts to make for it, Dane just dropped off a Ford 9" rear end to be trimmed and geared! Once the Tundra is payed off I'm going to lock the front end so we can get around the desert better with those heavy ass AR500 steel targets.

·
Registered
600 Posts
So we started working on re-barreling Dane's match rifle. We wrote everything out before we touched anything. We have the tooling we need and its just a matter of getting the proper measurements and doing the deed!

Today we got side tracked with the Jeep but were able to get the barrel set up in the lathe. It took us a bit but we were able to get the axis of the bore lined up 0.0005" within being perfectly straight. It was getting late so we left the barrel in the lathe. Tomorrow we plan on pulling his old tube and getting the measurements we need from the bolt and action. Once we have those we can get started on cutting the tenon, recess and chamber!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We are waiting on one more piece of tooling that is due in Friday. Then its time to cut!

The side track:

Who needs a jack when Bill has his crane. Upgrading from 31s to 35" tires

Back to the rifle tonight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are back up and running after a power problem at the house brought the lathe and our projects to a halt. Also had a trip to Colorado to see an aging family member that delayed things.

No new pictures yet but we have one of the new barrels chucked up in the lathe to with in .0005" and ready to go this afternoon. We will recheck and try to dial it in further after letting it sit over night.

hopefully i will have pics of a finished rifle on here in the next day or two.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thank you for everyone that helped us on this one!

Today after the Las Vegas Tactical Precision Rifle match at Desert Sportsman Dane and I ran off to finish his rifle! (we will be starting mine tomorrow!)

Dane aka Vegas50

Putting it together

Old barrel vs. new barrel

Go gauge, bolt closes

No go gauge, bolt doesn't close

Finished rifle

It shoots around corners!

·
Registered
600 Posts
We got started after 8 this morning. Dane and I were able to get my rifle pretty much wrapped up. We still have to face the muzzle end, crown it, then thread it for a muzzle brake. Were going to practice clocking a bit more on one of the take off barrels then take care of both rifles.

While I was turning away on the lathe Dane made some adjustments to his JP chassis to accept the MTU contour barrel. Yesterday it wasn't fitting correctly so we put it in the AICS to make sure it shot well.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I was just looking at grizzly web site and prices for the laths and there not that bad. Its temping me :D I might pull the trigger on a lath and also a mill machine next year. I will have to build a shop for them.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ya I know about this stuff :D I did metal work in high school. this was about 2000 and kept doing work here and there. I never did get my own tools and machinery. If any questions come up I sure will post them JF and thanks for posting all of this :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts