Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback on Leapers,inc. scopes.

looking into Leapers 5th gen. 6-24x 50mm...illum. mil dot.
Product Description
HUNTING RIFLE SCOPES, 5th Gen 6-24X50 Full Size Adjustable Objective Scope w/TS Platform, Side Wheel Red/Green Illumination Rheostat, Mil-Dot, F/B Emerald Coating, Lockable/Zero Reset Target Knobs, Flip-open Lens Cover, 3" Super Sniper Stackable SunShade

i know there are other but ran across these and well looking for in put....i know a serious shooters spend big $$ and you get what you pay for....

looking to mount on .308

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any reveiws on WOtac scopes....read good and bad....

Millet scopes?....better that Wotac?...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I know Matt from wonder optics is a stand up guy and his scopes are really good for the money. (wotac) I will try to find reviews to post.

The Millet scopes are good also not bad.

I can give you guys a review in about 3-4 weeks on a wotac a buddy of mine is buying one for his rifle and I will give it a test drive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am in the same boat ... incidentally, are any of Pentax and Nikon scopes any good?
They are about the same price range and the Millet ones.

I don't seem to be able to find the official Wotac website. Does anyone know what the URL is?

·
Registered
526 Posts
arthury said:
I am in the same boat ... incidentally, are any of Pentax and Nikon scopes any good?
They are about the same price range and the Millet ones.

I don't seem to be able to find the official Wotac website. Does anyone know what the URL is?
I've got one of the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 Mildot scopes that Midway had on sale last year. It's been on two Prairie Dog shoots and really gets a work out. It always returns to zero and I've made many 600 plus yard shots with it. It's on my short range rifle because the elevation and windage are in 1/8 minute adjustments, so you have to pass zero every 6 minutes of adjustment. This year I made a zero stop for it so I could find my way back.

The clarity is good and the side focus works as advertised. It tracks like it should and that's what's important to me.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=123107

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks, jerrschmitt.

I was doing some research on my part and here's what I found based on the deer hunting guru Wayne van Zwoll.

• Weight and size: smaller is better: Heavy scopes have high inertia, which can translate to knocking the mount loose during a recoil. Large scopes tend to need to mount high, causing neck strain. Large scopes means higher costs. As a guide: Scope weight <= 15% bare weight of the rifle is optimal[/*]
  • Magnification --- 4X : good enough to kill deer/pronghorns at 400 yards. 3-9X zoom is the most versatile zoom for deer hunting. High mag even introduces your pulse into the reticle.[/*]
  • Mount Height: low is good --- less neck strain[/*]
  • Objective lens size: 42mm is good enough (50mm is a little too large), 36mm is most optimal: allows you to mount the scope low[/*]
  • Tube size: 1" (and 30mm) is popular but don't limit yourself to it. It's OK to go smaller.[/*]
  • Coated optics: if you can afford it, go for fully coated. This means every surface of every optical element is coated. Multi-coated is every better --- provides close to 100% light transmission without losing much brightness and contrast.[/*]

·
Registered
600 Posts
A friends Millet TRS-1 held up pretty good for about a year. It was constantly used in field condition shooting here in the Nevada Desert and Tactical Precision Rifle Matches. It help up for a year and when it finally broke they sent him a brand new one!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Glad I read this!

I transplanted my Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 from my old Mauser to the 700. It works great, but I have the issue that my gun club only goes to 200yards. I figure if I can't shoot long I will shoot small, and 9x just doesn't let me see small targets at 200 and beyond (if I go elsewhere to shoot). I was wanting to go to an 18 or 24x scope (preferably with a mil-dot) but not break the bank. Since I know and love Nikons, I think you solved my dilemma.

I hate to dismount my current Nikon, but I can always use that as an alternate optic on my Mini-14 (which has a scout red dot right now).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts