Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a legal minimum cali for Deer in America as in N.I its .243 even for Muntjac which are knee height but here a Deer is a Deer ..

·
Registered
526 Posts
It's different in each state. Here in Wisconsin it's any centerfire cartridge greater than 22 caliber. Muzzle loaders have their own season and I don't recall the minimum caliber for that. Pistols must be .22 center fire or lager and have a barrel of 5 1/2 inches.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Like jerrschmitt said, it depends on the state. Southern deer are a lot smaller than northern deer, as northern deer obviously have to deal with the cold.

In New York it's a .243 or larger (minus Albany County, which is shotgun only), while in Vermont it's a .223, Connecticut is 6mm or larger on private land, 20 gauge or larger on state land, Massachusetts is shotgun only, Pennsylvania is .23 or larger (NO semiautos), Colorado has a minimum caliber of .24 and minimum 70 grain bullet (elk is 85 grain minimum) with 1000 ft/Lbs energy at 100 yards, Texas is any centerfire rifle.. and that's just the ones I know off the top of my head, and not even counting pistol\muzzleloader.

The ethical caliber..well it depends on how much you trust yourself, how well you can shoot..etc. I've taken a small deer with a .22LR..many with a .30-30, a few with a .30-06 and this year will try out the .308 on them. I've never lost or had to track a deer more than 50 yds...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.308 is the boy for the job :p Meat damage will be your problem now though
Thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
California is any centerfire cartridge. And magazine capacity is not an issue. Except that the law is no high cap mags for CA expect 10 round mags. So I can legally take my 10 round .223 AR-15 and go deer hunting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.243 up to .308 here as i said which is classed as a Deer cali rifle but also have to do a DSC1 ( Deer stalking course ) this allows you to shot deer.A DCS2 then allows you to sell the meat.
.222 to .22-250 are classed as fox rifles no course required for these as its illegal to shot deer with these.Rimfires are also legal for foxs but can be got for shooting rabbits i use a .22 mag for both.
I ordered my .243 sps last year then had to sit my DSC1 just to get it.Without a dsc1 i would not have been passed to own my 243.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
California is any centerfire cartridge. And magazine capacity is not an issue. Except that the law is no high cap mags for CA expect 10 round mags. So I can legally take my 10 round .223 AR-15 and go deer hunting.
Agree..... again there is no magazine capacity limit in Cali for rifle or pistol hunting, pre ban Hi cap mags no pistol grip you are good. I get in this argument all the time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Etkini said:
Like jerrschmitt said, it depends on the state. Southern deer are a lot smaller than northern deer, as northern deer obviously have to deal with the cold.

***In New York it's a .243 or larger*** (minus Albany County, which is shotgun only), while in Vermont it's a .223, Connecticut is 6mm or larger on private land, 20 gauge or larger on state land, Massachusetts is shotgun only, Pennsylvania is .23 or larger (NO semiautos), Colorado has a minimum caliber of .24 and minimum 70 grain bullet (elk is 85 grain minimum) with 1000 ft/Lbs energy at 100 yards, Texas is any centerfire rifle.. and that's just the ones I know off the top of my head, and not even counting pistol\muzzleloader.

The ethical caliber..well it depends on how much you trust yourself, how well you can shoot..etc. I've taken a small deer with a .22LR..many with a .30-30, a few with a .30-06 and this year will try out the .308 on them. I've never lost or had to track a deer more than 50 yds...
In New York State you can use any centerfire rifle to hunt big game where it's legal to hunt with a rifle. It's on page 24 of the New York Hunting & Trapping, 2011-12 Official Guide To Laws & Regulations you get when you buy your hunting linsence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts