Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, i am writing a paper for a class and it is a argument paper. I decided to write about the pros and cons of concealed carry, and i can think of a million reasons why to carry, but ill still enjoy reading more but do any of yall have ideas of cons? and it wont mean you hate guns, i just need another view on what people would think..thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
For me its kinda hard to think of any! Because of the way the system is its pretty strict on owning a CCW. I think of some and if anything comes up I will post ideas :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
I recently had a discussion with a rather left leaning friend of mine about this. Here is some of the stuff I countered:
1. Only police should have guns - My counter was that the Supreme Court has ruled, in Castle Rock v Gonzales, that the police do not have to provide protection to the public. Thus leaving protection of self to the citizen.
2. Violence never solved anything - My counter was simply this. "Slavery and the Holocaust were both ended by men using guns"
3. If all guns were outlawed we would be safer - This one made me laugh. I asked her if she had ever heard the saying "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns". Then I pointed out the restrictive gun ownership laws in cities like Chicago and New York and asked if she would like to walk around those cities after dark.

This sadly went on for about 1/2 an hour at a friend's birthday party but after countering every (heard it before) point she made she finally shut up and went away. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great so far..i laughed at the 2 one and the 3 ones always gonna make me laugh..thanks for help and if anybody else has some let me hear them

·
Registered
203 Posts
There will be shoot outs all over the place, people will shoot eachother over parking spaces. -This is not the case, an armed society is a polite society.

·
Registered
277 Posts
some cons of concealed carry from the first person perspective:

1. It's not always comfortable to carry - in and out of the car on long trips all rigs/holsters become uncomfortable

2. What to do with the weapon while in a bar or other establishment that bans weapons - if a kid breaks into your car and steals your weapon then you've comitted a felony

3. While armed what do you do in a conflict that doesn't need that level of escalation - in close quarters conflict the weapon NEEDS to be maintined and controlled so you don't get it taken from you

4. Can you deal with the eventuality of having to use the weapon

5. In a clean and excusable use of force with the weapon what happens when you strike a bystander by mistake - a child or elderly person

These are just a few.

Don't get me wrong, I do carry off duty (always) but I have asked myself these questions alot. I also train often for their becoming a reality.

·
Registered
131 Posts
B0BK4T said:
some cons of concealed carry from the first person perspective:

4. Can you deal with the eventuality of having to use the weapon

A friend of mine, who is a police officer here in Colorado, does a lot of civilian training for extra cash and I help him out on occasion. Your #4 reminds me of something I have heard him say over and over again. I'm paraphrasing but he says "The day you have to draw your weapon will forever change how you look at the world."

Taking a like even in one's defense is very traumatic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts