700Rifle.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to put a Leupold 4.5-14x40mm VX-3i on my Sendero using Leupold dual dovetail bases and low rings(.650"). Have any of you ever used the low rings with a 40mm objective? I don't want to order medium rings if the lows will allow the objective to clear the barrel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd order both with the option to return one unused pair. I'm almost positive you'll need mediums.Low is pretty low for that set-up

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
You are going to be close with the low rings. Remember, a 40mm objective is more like 50mm in actual OD. That means you need a minimum of 1" above the barrel. Add in the thickness of the "dovetail" base to the height of your rings. The Sendero barrel is pretty heavy and it will depend on where the taper at the breech end of the barrel begins in relation to your scope objective position as to whether or not you make it. Don't get too close or your scope caps will not have room. I kind of like to factor in at least 1/4" for scope cap and clearance to keep heat of the barrel away from my objective lens assy. Also take into consideration that when you pull the trigger the barrel and action flex a lot more than you realize. Too close and yes, you run the risk of hitting the bottom of the scope with the barrel when things go "Bang".

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
I think the Medium Rings package also states "For up to 40mm Objectives" If I was home I would check as I have a set of unused ones in the package (Mediums). They may however be the older style twist in rings (not for dovetail bases) that I purchased with a set of Leupold Bases for a 700 SA that I ended up using Burris Rings on.

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
I pretty much only use Leupold low height standard rings and Leupold 3-9x40mm VX-1 scopes on my 700”s and there is plenty of clearance under the objective ...That being said I only own standard weight barreled 700”s and have found the medium rings too high (for me) your application with the heavier barrel it’s going to be close.....I would order both, I’m sure down the line you will use the extra set . It has been my experience that the newer Leupold rings do not have the same quality as the older ones, I look for the ones Without the “L” engraved into the ring tops I feel it was down hill since then (my opinion)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm getting ready to put a Leupold 4.5-14x40mm VX-3i on my Sendero using Leupold dual dovetail bases and low rings(.650"). Have any of you ever used the low rings with a 40mm objective? I don't want to order medium rings if the lows will allow the objective to clear the barrel.
My favorite scope, great choice; I have 2 with Med rings on 700 5R, 1 piece mount, enough clearance on front 40 mm bell. The low bases/rings too low for Sendero barrel diameter & stock as you would strain your neck to view through the scope.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
For a hunting rifle I know that having the line of sight of the scope as close to the bore as possible, but since I only shoot targets at known distances, I pick my scope rings based on not only what will clear, but where it puts my head and eyes when I am mounted on the rifle.

The only exception to this is that one thing that I do hunt is woodchucks, but I do that with a friend and we set up a bench and a 12'x12' canopy over it and take turns spotting and shooting. In that case we actually have guns there set for the various yardages we might shoot. S&W Model 41 to 50 yards, XP-100 or Thompson Contender to 250, .22-250 to 500 and 6.5x47 Lapua over 500. We keep are Hold Over/Under records on the bench along with dual spotting scopes set up as binoculars, a range finder and our ballistics calculator. The wood chucks don't have a chance and the farmers are happy.

Bob

·
Registered
128 Posts
What's a "wood chuck"? You mean "ground hogs" as some call them "Sod Poodles" and "whistle pigs" they are Rifleman's game of choice for long range hunting as seasons if any are liberal with no limits. I do miss my little buddies, not enough here on the shore to hunt as our ground hogs thrive central and mountain regions of Mid Atlantic. I had a nice array of varmint and predator control rifles; .243, .223, 22-250 and two .204 Ruger calibers. My favorite was .204 Ruger, applaud Hornady for its development, .222 magnum case neck down to .20 caliber. I pushed .40 V Max in front of 10X only @ 3600, below max and still was much flatter shooting than other popular varmint calibers. My .204's were .25 -.35 printers so MOA extended beyond normal ranges. The longest head shot was 469 yards with the .204 Ruger using a Leica range finder. The best addition to ranging Sod Poodles hunting far done. The most enjoyable of the .204, low recoil and wasn't any louder than a .22 mag but even @ 100 yards could see your hits so didn't have to check the holes for your kills. Some guys stuffed the ground hog down the holes, others used them for fox & coyote bait while I let them lay for the Turkey Buzzards so the farmer knew I was solving his gopher problem.

Remington was late to the .204 Ruger party, while they produce some 700 .204's not that many and just a short run. Seems the .204 Ruger has faded away from offerings, if you shoot PD's or Gophers couldn't choose a better caliber from my experience laying prone on many soy bean fields.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Yep - Ground Hog, Wood Chuck or Ground Squirrel, Always fun. .222 smallest caliber in my stable. There the only thing I hunt now a days. I do have a few .20 caliber Dewy Rods as a standard .22 rod works fine for .224 but no so good for .222.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts