Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow what a humbling expierence!!! as many of you know i have been bench rest shooting for quiet some time and now have decided to try my hand at long range shooting. we have a GREAT new range to shoot at called COOLSPRINGS ACRES SPORTING CAMP.(COM) a retired army sniper owns and runs it and is helping me to make me a better shooter. well i went yesterday to shoot for the first time. my custom 700 with berger 175 vld and 66,0gr of imr 4831 consistanly shoots .451 groups at 100 yds.after eric made the necessary elevation adjustments i was able to shoot a 4in. group at the 600yd range. i was tickled to say the least. then came the reality check!! he said "SON YOU SHOOT REALLY GOOD AND YOU GOTTA GOOD SET-UP BUT THAT AINT GONNA CUT IT IN A MATCH!" he said to be competitive here you need to shoot less than 3in groups at 600. after my 4 in group i felt really good. this really gives me a ton of respect for you guys that shoot like they do. my hats off to those that shoot less than 4in groups at 1000 and less than 3 at 600. not gonna give up though. (even though i went from a big smile to a long frown in a matter of seconds) great shootin guys!! look at the web pg at (google) coolacressportingcamp.com and if you want to make a road trip to shoot they have a match every weekend so come on down.

·
Registered
526 Posts
4" at 600 yards won't win a match but it sure is good shooting in my book. The difference in 4" and 3" is being able to read the wind and I was never really good at that.

If you do the math, shooting a 3 inch groop at 6oo yards is impossible but yet people do it all the time.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im new to the long range aspect but i felt pretty good about it ,especially for my first time. ive got the gun and thought i had the optics but the rangemaster sugessted i get away from the duplex leupold and go with a 5-25 niteforce. i just hate to get away from a product that i was consistanly winning with on the benchrest matches. i am hoping to accomplish long range hunting for our show and then when im home actually be able to compete and stand a chance of winning on the weekends. im probobly not going to get what i want but i sure as hell gonna try. any advice or criticism from you pros would be much appreciated. (do's ,dont's etc...) i am willing to learn and take advice. ps any thoughts on the leupold m1 turrets vs m3 for what im wanting to do.

·
Registered
526 Posts
No matter what equipment you have, someone will tell you it's wrong. Nightforce is the most winning scope out there but there is nothing wrong with a Leupold.

In short, If you can see your target and reliably adjust your point of impact to hit that target, your scope has done it's job. Now comes the hard part. Determine the range and adjust for wind.

You can buy a range finder but you can't buy a wind finder.

Go out to your range and put a stake with surveyor tape every hundred yards. Spend a few hours watching those tapes and notice that some may show a north wind while the next is blowing east and the next shows no wind at all.

Understanding wind is more critical than caliber, scope brand or rifle builder.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree ^^^^

You should use what you're good at using. It doesn't matter what it is or how much it cost or who's name is on it - as long as you are effective with it.

Remember the most prolific snipers to ever live decimated a technologically superior fighting force and they were using horrible fixed power (4x) scopes under the worst conditions, mud, rain, dirt, etc.

It's the practiced shooter that makes the difference. Take advantage of the advances we've made in technology but once you make a purchase get good with it and don't listen to what people say about your equipment.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
men i APPRECIATE all the well taken advice!! i think he said i would shoot f-class and modified f-class ,if that makes sense. i REALLY REALLY LIKE THE LONG RANGE THING. its alot diffrent but still the same as bench rest. and if they get to whipping up on me too bad they do have bench rest shoots that i could go back to.(then we would be back on level playin ground ha ha ). i have always been a luepold fan and have gotten great results . my opinion is to get the c.d.s.dial for hunting and purchase an additional long range dial with the m-2 turrets. they will be much faster to adjust with no dail stop like the cds. chuck martin @ leipold called me and recomended it because of the M,O,A,system which is what im been taught is the easiest way to go vs mils or inches. does any of this make any sense? im still learning(mil-moa.m1 m2 m3) i just know how to shoot.and reload.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts