700Rifle.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not having much luck finding a Model 7 SS in 308 or 223 for a compact lightweight bolt action- so, I may go the 700 route and just chop the barrel down to 16-or-18 inches. Has anyone built something like this on a 700?

·
Registered
98 Posts
In case you did not know, the 700Ti is Very light. Kicks painfully off a bench in 308. Is expensive too. Barrel is about 22".

·
Registered
42 Posts
A couple months ago I picked up a new Remington Model 700 SPS in .308. I promtply had the barrel shortened and recrowned at 20" (it was 24" to begin with). I absolutely love the handling and balance of this rifle now with the 20" barrel. If I remember right it cost me $55.00 to have the barrel shortened and recrowned, and in my opinion it was worth every cent.

My shortened Remington 700 SPS .308 along with my DPMS Panther Bull 20 .223 and 16" Bushmaster ORC .223 in the photo.

Larry

·
Registered
46 Posts
not to sound rude or offend, but have you tried looking at the youth models. stocks are a little more compact and the barrels are usually shorter. i had one in a .308 for a couple of years but sold it and got the full size synthetic version. it did great for crow and coyote but i needed the cash at the time and when i got enough money i just bought a full size version.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts