Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start teaching myself the ins and outs of my rifle. Wanna mess a little with "gunsmithing" and customizing my rifle. I was thinking of adding a trigger and doing something with the stock. Can the synthetic stocks be customized at all as far as free floating or glass bedding. What about the bolt and action? Can anything be done there? I was thinking of adding a badger bolt knob but what about as far as accuracy? I consider myself a perfectionist and very mechanical but I am definitely not a gunsmith. Any suggestions on upgrades that I can possibly do would be greatly appreciated. I have a garage full of tools and am open to purchasing some new ones specific to guns if needed. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
27 Posts
First thing for accuracy, what i did was ditch the houge stock and put somethign with a full aluminum bed and less flex...
i also added a nice light crisp trigger... mine was a nickel shooter at 100yds

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would say I've messed with mine quite a bit. It's got a CDI precision trigger guard with Alpha Industries 10 round Type 2 mag, which requires modifying your feed ramp for longer loaded bullets. A Bell and Carlson Medalist that I took a rasp to to get the fore end shaped more to my liking, then I textured the stock and painted it with Alumahyde II Coyote for a base with Krylon over the top. It has a full aluminum block and when you get it torqued right (Mine is at 40 In. Lbs.) I can't imagine why you would NEED to bed it. I've had mine apart multiple times and as long as I re torque the bolts it always comes right back as far as group size goes. I put on a Kinetic Research group bolt knob, which I love, and for ~$30 its a hell of a cheap yet effective upgrade. I haven't messed with the action or trigger at all because I'm already shooting .5 MOA with my handloads, so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
What is your rifles purpose?? Budget?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Not much you can do to the action with out a lathe. You can lap the bolt lugs to the internal lugs in the reciever. Don't go too crazy though you don't want to change the head space.

Free floating your stock is pretty straight forward, changing triggers is really easy too. They are expensive but I recommend a Jewell trigger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts