Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got some heated thread over on another forum and just want to ask your true opinion or expertise answer on this.

Ok so here is the pic that I want to talk about

So the question is in this pics down in the valley there are no home or buildings that people live in. My question is if you guys see anything wrong in this picture ? I would anyone's opinion on the issue of using a rifle scope to look here and there to check areas for animal versus using binos.........

·
Registered
526 Posts
I prefer to use binoculars because of the wider field of view but I see no problem using a scope for spotting. I do it all the time while prairie dog shooting and also deer hunting in my back yard. I would not use a scope to intentionally watch another hunter but ..........................

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nothing wrong with what your doing. Got to watch some of the crowd on CalGuns because they are a little too tightly wound! Very cool pics!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Totally agree. I would try not to use the scope for looking at another hunter or traffic on a nearby road, but I think it's almost unrealistic to not use your scope to glass your hunting area or shooting lanes. We're taught from an early age, and at Hunter's Safety, to never use your scope to look at something you don't intend to shoot, but that would make things pretty difficult logistically in the field.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the argument is still going on over on there. :rolleyes:

I say this in my 14 years of hunting which started at age 12 and now I'm 26, I have never had a hunting accident (Thank God) and plan on never having one due to me. I guess I'm doing something right huh ?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PALADIN said:
Totally agree. I would try not to use the scope for looking at another hunter or traffic on a nearby road, but I think it's almost unrealistic to not use your scope to glass your hunting area or shooting lanes. We're taught from an early age, and at Hunter's Safety, to never use your scope to look at something you don't intend to shoot, but that would make things pretty difficult logistically in the field.

- SPS Tactical .308 / M&P 15T / Remington 870 Tactical / Glock 22 .40 -

I agree, and at the same time I'm not saying it's all good with no binos. But when the obvious is the obvious that there are not people in a stretch of 2 miles of land I dont know what the issue is then.

·
Registered
409 Posts
No issue, IMO. If you're smart, know your area, backdrop, all that good stuff and you KNOW there isn't anything else out there - except for prey - I don't see any problem with it. If you were on public land that was pretty crowded, maybe binos would be best, but I think it boils down to the individual and their experience. Good tip (for the average shooter) to stick with the binos until you're ready to shoot, but I just don't see how it's possible all the time in the field.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is sunk so much into my head that even if a buddy of mine has already checked his chamber to make sure it's clear I still tell him 5 times more to keep the finger off the trigger. My next purchase is a nice pair of binos I was thinking of some Monarch X binos ( not sure if I have the model right)

·
Registered
795 Posts
I don't see much wrong with it... considering the conditions and what you are looking at. For piece of mind, I would just open the bolt... the observe through the scope. Once you open the bolt, you gun just becomes a harmless metal tube.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts