Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the 700 AAC. in 308. I am new to this platform and would like some advice. I would like some advice on stocks and triggers. what are other parts that are regularly modified on this weapon?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Like scopes, stocks\triggers\mods depend on your budget.

I, like a lot of people here, have a Bell and Carlson (B&C) stock on my 700. They run between $200-300. You can also go with a nice wooden stock, a McMillan ($400-600), an AICS ($900+)..the options are endless, it all depends on your taste.

Check out www.stockysstocks.com

As for triggers, there's also a plethora of them available. I personally have a Timney 510 on mine (as do quite a few others..notice the pattern?) and it's a wonderfully crisp and clean trigger. Another common one is a Jewell, or you could have the stock one polished/set-up.

Another common modification, but one that is not needed, is truing the action, which depending on the gunsmith can run you $50-150. Don't quote me on that price, as some could be lower..some could be higher.

Again, all of this depends on your budget, and your experience. If you're new to bolt actions\long range shooting, you're going to be better off just getting a good scope and shooting the crap out of the stock rifle. That'll teach you more than any series of modifications and money could ever help.

What do you plan on doing with the rifle? Punching paper? Hunting? Competitions? What's your budget for the scope?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
+1 to the b&c stocks, and Jewell or timney trigger.

If you get a stock like the b&c or other non chassis type make sure to have it glass bedded if will truly merge accuracy with precision.

Once I bedded my b&c stock, my groups tightened like no tomorrow and any day of the week my cold clean bore shot will never be more than 1/2 (max) inch away from follow up shots.

I have the same rifle so when your ready I can share my load data.

Your going to want some nice glass (best you can afford and then add a few hundred lol)
Solid base and rings. Mark4s are my preference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am looking to use if for paper punching with the occasional deer hunt ( maybe once per season) . I see the pattern with the triggers and stocks ill do some research on those. My budget for the scope i don't want to spend 1k... but its some nice glass i don't mind doing it because i only like to spend my money once

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I agree. For hunting around 4-500 you can get a zeiss conquest it will also be a great 100 yard precision rifle scope. For anything farther I would recommend in price order
Sightron
Nightforce
USO

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like the idea of the nigh force NXS 3.5-15x50 Zero Stop F1 LV.5 but not sure if i could bring myself to spend that kind of money just on glass

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Bull, when I have enough saved up I'm planning on dropping around 3k. Not for name brand, not for bragging rights but when you get out in thefield and your looking through a scope in less than favorable conditions. A high end scope shines out over the rest by leaps and bounds.
It's alot of money just on glass but you can't shoot what you cant see and the good ol saying. Aim small, miss small.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I have a Konus m30 8.5-32x52 it's considered a mid range (cost scope 300-800 depending on dealer and state) it's a great scope for 100-200 yards it cant be beat for it's price (300). But at 600 yards trying to fight through mirage the parallax wheel was wasting it's time. The image would be visible but not enough to aim at a desired spot. It was line up in the middle and hope for the best.

I got to look down a sightron ( 10-50 I believe) and it was as clear as the day was long.
It's all on what your interests are. If you can see yourself needing the clarity at longer distance hell yeah it's worth it. For 100 yards or so you can get by with less. But then again, are any of us really happy just getting by? Lol (we'd all have 100% stock rifles lol)

·
Registered
173 Posts
While I don't have a US Optics, a Schmidt & Bender..or even a Nightforce (apparently it keeps raining..my rainy day fund goes poof constantly..) the way I look at it is, you're spending thousands on a rifle, why cheap out on the scope? That's helped me in my decision to buy an expensive optic for my AR15, and is helping in my quest to save for an expensive scope.

I guess it's kind of why I don't wear cheap sunglasses. It's something I wear for hours a day, and I value my ability to see clearly and in the highest definition possible.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hahaha..after I bought my Oakleys I was surprised just how well I keep track of them. Even though they cost me a lot less than they would be for most people (gotta love Oakley's LE\gov discount program) I think I spend more of my day now making sure the damned things are still on my neck than anything else.

And as for breaking them, they're indestructible. I remember reading a few months ago about a soldier who had an IED blow up in his face..and it didn't scratch them.

Like it's been said, you only get one pair of eyes, and I'd definitely trust them to my glasses.

Now how do I go about collecting my endorsement money? ..lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Etkini said:
Hahaha..after I bought my Oakleys I was surprised just how well I keep track of them. Even though they cost me a lot less than they would be for most people (gotta love Oakley's LE\gov discount program) I think I spend more of my day now making sure the damned things are still on my neck than anything else.

And as for breaking them, they're indestructible. I remember reading a few months ago about a soldier who had an IED blow up in his face..and it didn't scratch them.

Like it's been said, you only get one pair of eyes, and I'd definitely trust them to my glasses.

Now how do I go about collecting my endorsement money? ..lol.
I too only wear Oakleys partly because my vision is not the best in the world and i would like to keep what i have. Plus i like the quality of their product. I too heard that story a few years back its pretty neat i bet he will be getting free pairs of glasses for the rest of his life..... Back to scopes the Nightforce look like the quality that i want ill do some more reading and see which one is best for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As far as scopes, I personally am looking to get either a Leupold Mk 4 or a Nightforce. They're probably your best option for distance-shooting and will retain their zero much better than about anything else out there. As jasonbourne said, stay in the NXS line of the Nightforce market. They are expensive though, but well worth the money.
I've got some money set aside now and I personally am torn between one of those scopes, or a custom rifle build. Who knows...

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
.242" at 100yards all day long is:

168 gr Smk (grouped by weight and ogive)
41.5gr Rl15
Winchester brass
(chamfered in and out, flash hole uniform, primer pocket uniform, trimmed to 2.000)
Winchester large rifle primers (weighed and grouped)

length ( ogive) : 2.215

.350" at 100yards all day long is:

168 gr Smk (grouped by weight and ogive)
41.0gr Rl15
Winchester brass
(chamfered in and out, flash hole uniform, primer pocket uniform, trimmed to 2.000)

length ( ogive) : 2.210

About 3" at 600yards, had a 2 shot group within 1/2" of each other:

175gr Smk (grouped by weight and ogive)
43.1gr Rl15 avg vel: 2450fps
Winchester brass

length ( ogive) : 2.210

All theese were shot out of my aac with a muzzle brake on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts