Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

Made in the USA?

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Winxp_Man 
#1 ·
Are there any scopes that are completely made in the USA?
I thought Leupold was, but I've recently learned that their components are made overseas and final ass'y is done here, allowing them to use the Made in the USA moniker.

Burriss?
Bushnell?
SWFA SS?
Millet?

#3 ·
Nightforce - Many Japanese made component parts sourced from the former Hakko organization, with very high quality Japanese glass, reportedly from the Optical Light Co. one of the worlds foremost lens producers who make lenses for some of the finest cameras available in the world. NF scopes are finish assembled and serviced at their facilities in Idaho for the US market and (the last I heard) in Australia for the Pacific market.

#4 ·
I could be very wrong, but I don't think any scope is 100% made in the USA. Some are assembled here, but I don't think any one manufacturer has the capability to make their own lenses.

I do believe US Optics gets there lenses from Schott AG, which is a division of Zeiss Group. Zeiss, being one of the few that actually makes their own lenses, has factories all over the place.. it's kind of like asking who made your car. I know in 2007 or 2008 Schott built a couple factories in China.

The majority of lenses you'll find are made in Germany, Japan, China, or Philippines (and probably a couple others I forgot).

#6 ·
Not at all. Like I said, some are assembled here..so technically you're buying to keep Americans employed.

It's sad but it's the truth..so many companies are bringing their manufacturing overseas to save money, and in reality all they're doing is hurting their children's future.

#9 ·
I'm 95% sure USO imports their glass from Schott AG. Everything else (scope bodies, knobs, etc) is made in the US at their factory. I assume if it was all US glass, the scope prices wold be 2-3x what they are now. The cost of producing lenses in America is somewhere between 10-30x more expensive than what it would cost to make in China.

With that said, I thought Nightforce made their own lenses in their factory in Idaho?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.