Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, I figured I'd come to the well since I just ordered a new SPS Tactical .308

I've got a Harris bipod and Warne 1-piece -20MOA scope mount coming too.

The question is, what would be a good mid-$ piece of glass? mid-$ meaning under $400

I think the specs I'm looking for are:

3-10x or 4-12x
40mm
mil-dot reticle (non-illuminated for now)
1/4MOA adjustments

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thinking about the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40. The AR designation seems to be limited to the fact that it has a bdc cap engraved for std .233/55gr - the Leupold Custom Shop can provide a new bdc cap with .308/175gr ballistics for $59.

·
Registered
477 Posts
JFComfort said:
For $400 I think I would go with a 10x Super Sniper or one from the Bushnell Elite line.
x2, i'm getting ready to order a SS 10x from SWFA. read the reviews on them, i've never seen a bad one. there's guys that are using them in iraq and afghanistan.

there is (or was) a group buy from snipers hide. you can get the scope, butler creek lens covers and sunshade for $299

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-Kit-P50224.aspx

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my opinion I love Redfields new scopes, there are the exact same scope as a Leupold VX series (Redfield is made by Leupold now). Clear glass and you can get one under 200 dollars, I have one mounted on my Bushmaster and I have never had any problems with it.

On the other had Nikon makes a pretty good scope, I have a ProStaff 4-12X40 on my Remington 700 Tactical in 308. I got it for 179 at cabbalas with a coupon. Again never had any problems with it, it has the BDC reticle on it and I have had no problems punching paper at 600+.

If I were you stick with at least a 4-12x, it will give you just enough power to make you think your sitting next to your target even at 400 yards.

·
Registered
409 Posts
One of my officers has a Super Sniper 10X42. It seems really solid, especially for that price. We compared it to my new Nightforce... the Nightforce won but I would have quessed the glass quality of the SS as being a scope in the $700 range, like a Burris XTR scope. I also enjoyed my Falcon Menace quite a lot, but it is a pretty hefty scope. Same price range and is the way to go if FFP (front focal plane) is something you're really after. Maybe also take a look at the Vortex Viper PST series of scopes. They range from $500-$650 or so. Their Razor HD line runs about twice that, or more, but the PST series have gotten great reviews.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I'm thinking about the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40. Its marketed as an AR scope because it has a bdc engraved with .223/55gr ballistic data. But it has MIL reticle and MOA turrets, plus the Leupold Custom Shop can provide a custom BDC cap with my specific .308 ballistic data for $59. It's $349 and it's Leupold, so it has that Lifetime Warranty.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i was looking into the falcon myself, i really wanted to get a FFP scope that adjusted in MILs, i just couldnt find enough reviews like the SS had. i should have mine in a few days

1 - 9 of 9 Posts