Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was reading the http://www.700rifle.com/mil_dot_ranging.php document on the home page and I am having a hard time figuring out where they come up with the height of target. It shows .3 yards but that is not even a foot and if he is aiming for the heart of the target should it not be at least 1.5 (or more) feet or .5 yards?

I may be misunderstanding how they are getting the height of the target so if some one can explain that would be great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so I think I figured out where they came up with the .3 yards......the 10" of vital organs, correct? So why would you not measure the entire height of your target (foot to back of deer)?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Aim small, miss small. Organs are generally always the same size. Body structures can be very different in dimensions.

(just my impression on the reason lol)

·
Registered
477 Posts
i think that the example is just off.

i prefer a different formula for stuff smaller than a yard:

Height of item in inches x 27.8 / Mils read in scope = Distance to target in yards

so for that example, the equation would read:

10 x 27.8 / 1.5 = 185.3 yards

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys but so you agree that you are only measuring the area you are aiming at and not the entire target? So for this example you would not look at the total height of the animal just the area of the organs.....I guess as long as you estimate correctly it would not matter if you are picking and area on the item or the entire item itself you should get a close result.

·
Registered
477 Posts
for simplicity, i'd just range using the entire target. if something is a yard tall, why try to pick an even smaller target on it and say "oh, this is .345 yards tall, so...." that's just gonna make it harder to get an accurate range.

for deer, i would use the average thickness of 16"(for NC deer) from the belly to it's back and then use the formula i previously posted to range it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Three words... laser range finder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All thanks again for all the great information. Paladin I do agree but I need to know how to range before purchasing something like that for those just in case situations. For example I go somewhere and the technology stops working, dead battery, drop in river, whatever and now all I am left with is my ability to use what I have (scope mil dot) to figure the range, etc.

So once I have learned the manual way to figure everything out and I feel comfortable with it I will then start looking at a range finder, thanks for the reply though it is greatly appreciated. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts