Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all, just wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences with a "Wal-Mart Scope"...

Last year I bought my Saiga .223 (looks exactly like an AK but in .223) and thought it would be cool to drop a cheap scope on it. I went down to Wal-Mart and bought a cheap scope and was not expecting much out of it for $65. I was thinking it would be more accurate than open sights but surely not anything I could get any accuracy out of past 100 yards. The scope was the 3-9X40mm.

Boy was I wrong...

I was dumbfounded that I was drilling the target at 100 yards with a grouping less than 2" on standard ball ammo off the shelf at Scheels. I tried some of my shooting buddies hand loads and quickly brought that grouping in to just over an inch.

Now I have bought my Remington 700 SPS in .308 and am looking into getting the larger version 4-16X40mm. My first thought was that the scope would not be able to handle the recoil and stay true for long but my shooting buddy has one on his Remington 700 30-06 and has no trouble drilling targets.

I cant wait to see how the scope will perform on my Remington SPS, and if its horrible, at least Wal-Mart has a no grief return policy where I can get the money back and drop it on something better if it does not work out.

Here is the link to the site, check out the TAG models... very interesting....

http://centerpoint.crosman.com/index.php

BTW check out user reviews of the scope, its Wal-Mart so you have to ignore the not so mentally capable of fuctioning posters

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/10248654/centerpoint-4-16x40mm-scope-reviews/reviews.htm

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
For another 35 buck I would look at the Vortex CrossFire series and there life time warranty no matter what.

·
Registered
221 Posts
This subject (cheap scopes) has been debated on many sites. My advice is to buy the best optic you can afford. You are satisfied with the Wal Mart gear because you don't know what a quality optic is. If you want to shoot long range with your bolt gun, buy decent optics.

Try to look through a set up with a Leupold, NF, or USO. dial it up to high magnification on a 500 yd target, and compare it to you BSA

·
Registered
57 Posts
crockett007 said:
This subject (cheap scopes) has been debated on many sites. My advice is to buy the best optic you can afford. You are satisfied with the Wal Mart gear because you don't know what a quality optic is. If you want to shoot long range with your bolt gun, buy decent optics.

Try to look through a set up with a Leupold, NF, or USO. dial it up to high magnification on a 500 yd target, and compare it to you BSA
You're correct, but you're essentially comparing an economy Chevy Aveo to a high-end Italian supercar by comparing a Wal-Mart scope to a USO or NF! There are some good options in between (a low-end Leupold, for example, but I took your mention of Leupold as the Mark4).

·
Registered
496 Posts
remember- you get what you pay for!! at 200 yds or less you could use a crossman airgun scope but clarity at longer ranges and available light in hunting situations seperates them. another rule of thumb..the man that does the paying...does the saying. if your happy then we are happy cause its your hard earned money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just bought a rem 700p in 308, have the centerpoint mildot scope on my rem 40x 22lr heavy barrel so ill be using the same centerpoint mildot on my .308, sure a u.s. optics at a later date but the centerpoint will get it on the range fastest

·
Registered
89 Posts
I chose a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x 40 for an interim until I can buck up for the 12-42x56 NF. I got the Nikon for $177-. It is good to 200 yards. And it's a Nikon=great lenses, sturdy, weatherproof, lifetime warranty. A good balance between something real cheap and proper glass. But I agree with fasteach. It's your dime. Spend it how you like, as long as you're happy with it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dont know your financial situation - but i bought a redfield 4x12 with the accu-reticle for $220. I have been very impressed with the scopes glass and reliability. I have it on a .300 win mag with harsh recoil. The scope has never lost zero and has great eye relief. In fact i removed a bushnell 3200 to put the redfield on (due to greater eye relief) and have grown very found of my "el cheapo" scope. Redfield is made by Leupold at the Oregon plant and comes with the lifetime Leupold warranty. Best scope i've found remotely close to the $200 price range.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I purchased one of Wal-Mart's Center Point scopes a couple of years ago. A whopping $67 at the time. I was amazed at it's functionality for the price. Yes, it has an etched reticle that is so large it looks like it was made with a sharpie.

OK, the reticle illuminator is too bright and can almost cause blindness at full bright :cool:

It does pass a box test, it is durable, it's been on every one of my rifles from AR-15 to .308 5-R Milspec, at one time or another.

Today I have it mounted in some Leupold QD rings that cost more than the scope itself and I just use it for a spare in the unlikely event my NightForce needs to go visit it's "parents".

There are a ton of more expensive scopes but you have to move up the price scale a fair amount before you really find a better scope.

Cheaper than most NcStars but infinitely better units.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I realize this is an older Thread, but I have a centerpoint rimfire scope 3-9x32 on a ruger 77/17. I have had it for about 2 years now and it still holds zero at 50 yards. Yes, a 17hmr has relatively no recoil, but I paid around $60 for that scope and have transported that gun all over the place and shot about 500 rounds through it and it still hold zero.

Now, I would not trust it for consistent tracking if I were engaging targets at multiple ranges over 100 yards. Not to mention the eye relief is BARELY 3". But, in terms of holding its zero and clarity at a consistent 50 yards, it does well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had one of the 4-16x40s on my 5R milspec and used it for NRA f-class competition for a year before giving it to a buddy for use on his daughter's M1 carbine.
It worked quite well, from 100 to 600 yds and held zero perfectly...couldnt hurt it.
JasonBourne can tell you that it worked just fine for what it was...a $65 walmart scope :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts