Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any comment or additional info is welcomed. But I was asked by a member here to define the MOA idea to him so I did a little write up for him and here it is. Maybe it might help others that have questions of this sort.

MOA stands for Minute Of Angle. So basically if the scope is a 1/4 turn MOA that means that at 100 yards 1 click is 1/4 of a inch movement. At 500 yards that 1/4 click is 1 1/4", and at 1000 yards that 1/4 click is 2 1/2" .

Now MOA for drop is a little different cause it all depends on how fast your load is. So velocity effects how much drop you have.

For example one of my loads that runs 2570 FPS in 54% weather will drop 67.5 inches @ 534 yards based on a Ballistics calculator. Well the 67.5 has to be adjusted for in MOA. So to do the math @ 534 yards you will have to divide 67.5 inches of drop by 1 1/4 (which is the one click adjustment for a scope that is 1/4 MOA click) which then will then give us the amount of clicks we have to adjust for in a 1/4" MOA click scope. So the Click amount comes out to 54 clicks on a 1/4" click scope. Now that we have the Click amount we know that its 4 Clicks per MOA so you will want to divide 54 by 4 (total clicks to complete a MOA adjustment) Now the total comes out to 13.5 MOA that I have to dial to make a 534 yards Shot. So to make it easier there are now ballistic software for computers and phone to do the math for us :D

So to sum it all up there is MOA Adjustment for a certain distance 100 yards 1 MOA is 1" @ 500 yards 1 MOA is 5" and at 1000 yards 1 MOA is 10". MOA adjustment for bullet drop is what is regulated by the FPS of a cartridge. and knowing the drop is what will help you dial the dope necessary for a certain distance which is also known as dope. Now we now what it is when asked how much dope did you dial for that 763 yard shot.

Sierra makes a really good Ballistics program and for iPhone the Ballistics FTE is what helps me out all the time. Android also has a really nice one that maybe 308isgreat can elaborate on if he got it.

hope this made some sense! :D cause it did to me a little hehehehe

take care guys.

·
Registered
526 Posts
You're close but you gave me a head ache. Maybe I can make it more simple.

Minute of angle is an angular measurement. No matter if you are talking about a scope adjustment or bullet drop.

One inch at one hundred yards is close enough for most shooters but the actual number is 1.047 . 360 degrees in a circle, 60 Minutes in a degree. So a part of a degree is called a minute or minute of angle.

Bullet drop is dependent on Velocity and bullet shape and weight, or Ballistic coefficient. Temperature and altitude affect Velocity and therefore bullet drop. Humidity has a very minor affect, so little that many ballistic programs don't even factor it in.

If your bullet impacts 5 minutes low at 1000 yards you need to raise your scope 5 minutes. That will end up being 50 inches plus that pesky 5X .047. Same at 100 yards. If your impact is 5 minutes low at 100 yards you need to raise your scope 5 minutes. The difference is that you are only 5 inches low plus that same .047.

Some scopes change value in minutes and some change in inches per hundred yards. You need to know which value your scope uses.

That's why long distance shooters think in minutes rather than inches. Much simpler than to think, "I need to come up 50 inches so that would be 20 clicks on my scope at 1000 yards.

Hope I have added something to the discussion.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure have added something jerr :) I'm not much of a writer to write a description sometimes. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's amost too much for most people to understand. It would depend on if they need to understand it or not. A hunter? No, not really. Even for longer range stuff. They can just keep it simple. Range the distance. Say you're 410 yards away from your game, and you know that your round/scope takes about 40 clicks up to hit nearly perfectly at that distance, so you do the adjustments (mess with your windage if need be) and make your shot. The military guys... yeah, they need to understand and know how MOA and mils, milradians, all that stuff works. An LEO sniper? Yes, they need to have the knowledge but they'll probably never have to draw from it because shots longer than 100 yards are so rare. Either way, it's something good to know. Winxp_Man's post was accurate and makes sense, but to those out there that don't truly get it... If your scope has 1/4 in adjustments (at 100 yards), to calculate what you're adjusting at different ranges you add 1/4 inch to each 100 yards of distance.
100 - zero,
200- 1/2m per click
300, 3/4 inches per click
400, 1 inch per click
500, 1 1/4 per click
600, 1/1/2 per click

And so on.

Do the research. Know your bullets drop and know what adjustments you need to make. But above all, practice at these distances and don't take "hail Mary" shots. If you want to do long range shooting (for hunting, at least) every shot should be a "gimme" shot. You've extensively practiced at 500 plus yards so this 476 yard shot is nothing. Don't just know the math and charts... practice it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do the research. Know your bullets drop and know what adjustments you need to make. But above all, practice at these distances and don't take "hail Mary" shots. If you want to do long range shooting (for hunting, at least) every shot should be a "gimme" shot. You've extensively practiced at 500 plus yards so this 476 yard shot is nothing. Don't just know the math and charts... practice it.

I totally agree with that statement. I even take it as far as taking multiple rifles for different occasions, I have a model 775 30/06 that I am really comfortable with out to 500 yards. Past that I am going to be shooting my custom rifle or my fifty, both of which I have dope for out to and beyond 1000. I have a half size elk target made out of 1/2" thick AR500 plate, it makes practicing at various yardages on the "kill zone" much more enjoyable!

PS, the hit above the popper was made by Vegas 50 with his Barrett at 1 mile in some pretty tough conditions...He is the man! The elk target is approximately 16" from back to belly and 36" long!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I would kill for some steel targets like that. And the land to use them on. And a truck like that. Damn! You have it made!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yes, it seems that they are. Our LEO range is 50 yards max, and for the longer stuff, I have to find other areas. I go with one of my old dept's EOD guys to the bomb range some times. They've got endless property due to their regs for blowing @#$ up. Hoping to go there in a week or two, depending on weather, update the dope book for the .308 and sight in the new optic on my AR. But Kansas won't look like that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
PALADIN said:
I would kill for some steel targets like that. And the land to use them on. And a truck like that. Damn! You have it made!
- SPS Tactical .308 / M&P 15T / Remington 870 Tactical / Glock 22 .40 -
Thanks.......Yeah, we are pretty lucky, we have a great group of guys who are like minded and we do enjoy ourselves out there!!! The AR elk is a kind of funny story, I had a piece of rectangular ar500 18"x36" and a 1 foot square and Vegas 50 and I put them together with a rebar antler to kind of half ass make it look like an elk. A guy that we had shot with a few times saw a picture of our bs elk attempt and he drew up a concept on his autocad program....as soon as I saw it I knew I had to have one, he gave me the program and I took it to my steel guy and he cut it....My poor elk has taken a beating.... We have shot the shit out of him with the fifties and he takes it like a champ. Gotta love AR500 plate!!! Mister JfComfort blew his head popper off this last weekend with his 6.5 custom gun at 500 yards!!! (nice shooting by the way!!!) That was the second time that the head popper has been re-welded. I am gonna have to re-engineer the hinge mechanism!!!

JFComfort said:
We are pretty lucky. Its helped us advance our shooting in a fairly short amount of time. HOGNUTS and Vegas50 are GTG!

There is nothing like a little recoil therapy among good friends!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nice shooting, JFComfort!!! It's always good to know there are other people out there - other groups of friends - keeping the skill set sharp and having fun like that. Good times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts