Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a fair collection of old school walnut and blue steel 700's and I am after thoughts/suggestions/experiences of other people.

I have sucessfuly bedded and free floated my small calibre 700s, 30-06 and 280 with good results. In the past I have owned some very large cal rifles, (458) and had issues with stocks splitting. I'm concerned if I try to free float my hard kickin 700s (375 h&h, 8mm rem mag etc) I may lose some support the barrel has with the stock and therefore break one of my beautiful walnut stocks. I have heard of some big rifles that have a second recoil lug on the barrel for added strength in the stock (would that not ruin accuracy?) I have also heard of blokes bedding the first 2 inches or so of their barrel just under the chamber. I've also seen ''cross bolts'' going through the stock.

To be honest none of my big rifles shoot too badly, should I just be content to leave them be and stop trying to improve?

Interested to hear what anyone else thinks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
This is just my opinion and worth just what you paid for it. I believe that glass bedding large caliber rifles is even more important because recoil will beat the stock and cause splitting. There is shifting in the stock of all rifles and glass bedding stops it. I would do the recoil lug, first inch or two of the barrel and the tang. I really think it would avoid any splitting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jerrschmitt said:
This is just my opinion and worth just what you paid for it. I believe that glass bedding large caliber rifles is even more important because recoil will beat the stock and cause splitting. There is shifting in the stock of all rifles and glass bedding stops it. I would do the recoil lug, first inch or two of the barrel and the tang. I really think it would avoid any splitting.
Makes, sense thankyou.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
jerrschmitt said:
This is correct. One other thing that you can maybe look at is a aluminum bedding block. As for a second recoil lug that would seem that it would defeat the purpose of bedding. it kind of like if the barrel is touching the stock completely. Now you can a more beefy recoil lug that can improve something.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts