Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just aquired a VTR 700 and havent even made a range trip yet ,
while cleaning and mounting the scope and just general tinkering i have noticed deep gouges in the brass,
i have cleaned and smoother edges but cant seem to find the problem area, you guys got any suggestions ??

·
Super Moderator
1,366 Posts
I am confused. You have gouges in brass, but you have not used the rifle? Mounting the scope? What brass are we talking about?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am confused. You have gouges in brass, but you have not used the rifle? Mounting the scope? What brass are we talking about?
Just running some cartridges thru the action to check function and its creating deep scratches lengthwise on the brass!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
478 Posts
Are these factory rounds or resized brass reloads? If reloads are the cases full length sized or neck sized? Cartridge?

·
Super Moderator
1,366 Posts
OK- Now I get it. Sounds like you have issues with your Chamber. Do you have access to a bore scope?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are these factory rounds or resized brass reloads? If reloads are the cases full length sized or neck sized? Cartridge?
Factory rounds,I Done alot of polishing of the cartridge path and seem to have gotten alot of less scratching just need a little more care in that area and should be good to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK- Now I get it. Sounds like you have issues with your Chamber. Do you have access to a bore scope?
Yes i have scoped it and it looks pretty good i done some polishing on the feed ramp and the cartridge path and seem to have made it better , but i will take a look at the chamber again
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
478 Posts
Feed rail issues show up as one or two scratches typically running most of the length of the brass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Feed rail issues show up as one or two scratches typically running most of the length of the brass.
Yes that seems to be the culprit, it gets a little better the mor i polish and work the edges..

·
Super Moderator
478 Posts
Good luck. FWIW, my 308 Tactical doesn’t scratch FLS rounds but it will only neck sized rounds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts