Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not yet purchased my SPS Tactical prob by the end of December so anyway I was in a gun shop looking at one yesterday and to be honest I like the fit and feel of the standard Hogue stock my only wonder is if I should keep it am I compromising accuracy by a significant margin by doing this?? I know many of you change to better bedded stocks but will the gun still shoot well without changing the stock?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Kestral said:
I have not yet purchased my SPS Tactical prob by the end of December so anyway I was in a gun shop looking at one yesterday and to be honest I like the fit and feel of the standard Hogue stock my only wonder is if I should keep it am I compromising accuracy by a significant margin by doing this?? I know many of you change to better bedded stocks but will the gun still shoot well without changing the stock?
To each his own....If you like the Hogue then roll with it. For alot of us the fact that its flimsy and the forearm contacts the barrel dosen't sit well for what should be a free float barrel, but with this stock.....not really. Does it impact accuracy? Yes because the stock is too flexible and not as solid as an HS Precision which will improve accuracy down range. You have to decide what you want and what buget allows. If you want better accuracy move away from Hogue and get a better stock, but if your happy with the Hogue more power to you. Good luck in your selection!

·
Registered
409 Posts
A better stock would offer better accuracy, but the Hogue has benefits with hunting. Doesn't get super cold and it's comfortable. You can modifty the hogue so it free floats the barrel. There are some threads on this site about that.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
+1 for an upgraded stock. You will be impressed with accuracy increase from a Hogue stock. I think if Houge has a fully bedded stock that is will cost around 100 to 150 dollars and for another 50-100 dollars you can get a nice HS Precision stock.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It depends on what you want to do with it and at what distance your going to do it.
If it's for off hand or short range hunting you should be fine. If it's long range precision a better stock will help
a lot. If it touchs the barrel or puts pressure on the barrel it will have a negative effect on accuracy. The less
stock/barrel contact the better. There are so many little things involved with long range shooting that make a big
difference, a better stock is one of the easiest and most important improvements that you can make.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
espesially the fact that you can buy a decent 700 HS Precision stock for around 200 bucks online from people that have take off HS P stocks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My opinion of the Hogue overmold stock is that it's a POS! Why they put an inferior stock on a great rifle baffles me. The only reason I bought my SPS Tac with the Hogue is because I didn't have the extra cash for an up grade stock. I needed glass first for the rifle and then when I had some extra cash I got the HS Precision stock and ditched the Hogue.

·
Registered
409 Posts
They probably put the Hogue on it to allow shooters like you and I the ability to buy a great rifle, and to get into a tactical Rem 700 weapon system, for cheaper - with the knowledge that most people will upgrade over time. If it had an HS Precision on it, the entry cost for the gun would probably be closer to $800-$900, as opposed to $600 or cheaper. It would also be called an LTR - without the fluted barrel. Even though I want to upgrade to a better stock, I'm glad they offer the SPS with the hogue. I probably wouldn't have been able to get into the tactical 700 game if they hadn't. I can justify $599 to the wife a lot easier than $800 or $900.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Then later on grab thing piece by piece and not worry having to justify to the wife :D lol ...........

·
Registered
403 Posts
PALADIN said:
They probably put the Hogue on it to allow shooters like you and I the ability to buy a great rifle, and to get into a tactical Rem 700 weapon system, for cheaper - with the knowledge that most people will upgrade over time. If it had an HS Precision on it, the entry cost for the gun would probably be closer to $800-$900, as opposed to $600 or cheaper. It would also be called an LTR - without the fluted barrel. Even though I want to upgrade to a better stock, I'm glad they offer the SPS with the hogue. I probably wouldn't have been able to get into the tactical 700 game if they hadn't. I can justify $599 to the wife a lot easier than $800 or $900.
Kinda how I put it only your explaination is a little more "warm and fuzzy". ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Winxp_Man, exactly!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Winxp_Man (or anyone else), you have a line on HS Precision police stocks or know anyone who is selling them for a great price? I have the cash and I'm going to pull the trigger on one. Best price online I saw is $283 or so. Looking to spend closer to $200 if possible.

·
Registered
403 Posts
PALADIN said:
Winxp_Man (or anyone else), you have a line on HS Precision police stocks or know anyone who is selling them for a great price? I have the cash and I'm going to pull the trigger on one. Best price online I saw is $283 or so. Looking to spend closer to $200 if possible.
Check with our Austrailian friend Quick. I think he has a line with someone who may be able to get you one at a decent price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts