Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where else to post this. What would the best production round at a low cost be? I'm wanting to really start some serious range time and don't want to burn $2 every time I pull the trigger, but I don't want crappy groups. Where I live, Winchester Ballistic Silvertips are $40 a box, and I shoot great with them, but want to try and steer closer to $20 a box if possible. I don't have the time and money to start reloading yet, but want to at some point.
Any advice on this would be great, and sorry if it's in the wrong topic thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts
Reload or MilSurp. Best alternatives. Also, have a look at what other match ammo runs in your area, Rem Match Federal, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have access to tons of free military surplus. Just to make sure we're talking about the same kind of ammo... it's a generic small cardboard box that contains 20 FMJ rounds. It's labeled 20 ROUND 7.62X51mm BALL FNM 8-48.

Funny story behind this ammo, which a buddy of mine has tons of and doesn't know what to do with... I started my rifle out on this stuff, just to break it in because it was free ammo, and I shot sub MOA groups with it. Thought it was a fluke.

So this stuff is actually pretty good? That same buddy keeps asking if I want more and I say "No, I'm good." Thinking it will damage my rifling or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
That's a pretty alarming thought, PALADIN. Do you think they might have steel jackets? Just guessing. Were they magnetic? The NRAA here used to shoot the army's ball ammo. The bullet was 144gn., boat-tail. Any similarity?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steel jackets. When I took them into the range the second time, the management (who I know) said I couldn't shoot those in there because they don't allow steel. It slowly tears up their indoor backstop. It's too bad. They pulled out a magnet or steel thing and, yes, the bullet stuck to it. Not sure on the grain... it wasn't marked on the box. Not in front of me now, but I'll check again. I have access to shoot at a couple of different outdoor places, and I could use the ammo there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
That was a lucky guess on my part. I really had no idea! Only ever heard of steel jackets for elephant guns and the like. Perhaps they are for armour piercing situations. Don't blame you for not using them. You would not know how long your barrel would last. Aussie military ammo never had steel jackets, at least not the stuff target shooters used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So this stuff I have may actually tear my barrel up a bit? What specs of Military Surplus ammo should I try and get for accuracy? I shoot the SPS Tactical with the 20 inch barrel. How would this surplus stuff compare in accuracy to Ballistic Silvertips, Core-lokt and others?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I bought some American Eagle 150 gr FMJ Boat tail to run my new .308 in, and for the brass. I was very surprised by how it shot. Only shot out to 200 yards with it but it will shoot inch groups at that distance with 3 shots. Cheap here in Australia, around $20 a box, probably cheaper in the US.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I think that hovers around $15-$20 here. I might give it a shot. I'll probably stick with higher end stuff for hunting, maybe, but I just want some cheap ammo that I can shoot a bunch with. Want to start trying to go every other week or so. Will get super expensive if I stay at $40 a box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meant I am looking for super cheap ammo that is also accurate for good groups. I'll try a few different ones. I'll probably start with that Eagle. I am shocked how crappy that Winchester Partition gold is. I had some groups that were just under an inch with the Silvertips and my 100 yard with the Partition was closer to 2 inches. Might have just been me, but it's still a big difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
PALADIN said:
Meant I am looking for super cheap ammo that is also accurate for good groups. I'll try a few different ones. I'll probably start with that Eagle. I am shocked how crappy that Winchester Partition gold is. I had some groups that were just under an inch with the Silvertips and my 100 yard with the Partition was closer to 2 inches. Might have just been me, but it's still a big difference.
That's why I don't shoot anything but Handloads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
I ran some 14 USD a box federal in my SPS Tac and was driving the rounds sub MOA at 100 dont know for anything further........ i will post up some pics when i get a chance and let you see for yourself. but for 14 USD a box i dont know if you can beat that. i heard of other guys using PMS i think in .308 and doing pretty good @ 100 .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
I ran some 14 USD a box federal in my SPS Tac and was driving the rounds sub MOA at 100 dont know for anything further........ i will post up some pics when i get a chance and let you see for yourself. but for 14 USD a box i dont know if you can beat that. i heard of other guys using PMS i think in .308 and doing pretty good @ 100 .
Ummmmm I think it was PMC you were referring to..........I would stay away from that PMS stuff....not good for your weapon or your sex life! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
308isgreat said:
Winxp_Man said:
I ran some 14 USD a box federal in my SPS Tac and was driving the rounds sub MOA at 100 dont know for anything further........ i will post up some pics when i get a chance and let you see for yourself. but for 14 USD a box i dont know if you can beat that. i heard of other guys using PMS i think in .308 and doing pretty good @ 100 .
Ummmmm I think it was PMC you were referring to..........I would stay away from that PMS stuff....not good for your weapon or your sex life!

Last edited by 308isgreat (Today 5:52: AM)

"God keep my soldier safe in Afghanistan who is defending all of our freedoms we love!"

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

ops i just saw i put PMS hahaha ya its PMC but like you said i know for AR platforms its not to good thats if you have the standard .223 chamber.
but i never used PMC but i was talking to a guy that said he did good with it. I would not recommend it to anyone though. like i said i did pretty good with 150 SP federal stuff

here are my pics with the 150 SP Federal stuff




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
This is what I have been shooting with great results...for a "cheap - accurate round". ;) Would much prefer to reload my own...someday I hope to get back into reloading. Just too many projects to get done first...then I will get my hands on a Dillon 550.:D
Here is one of my range cards with this ammo...and this was my break in on the 700, using the RM ammo.
http://www.rmammo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_12&products_id=64
On a side note I did just get my RRA predator pursuit upper ordered for my AR...60 day wait...then she will be here...that will get another project near completion. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Walmart - Federal 150 gr soft point $14.00 for 20.

great for general use and gives about 1 in groups at 100yds. The brass is great for reloading too. I loaded some 168 Gr Boat-tail Hollow Points (BTHP) and got about .425 in groups at 100 yds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
whats a good 160 grain hpbt bullet? not 155 or 165, but 160. The nosler 155 gr hpbt an sierra mks have an excellent bc but i wanted something just ateensy bite heavier and i figured the extra 5 grains just might help improve the bc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Im way late on this, but I found my rifle LOVES Magtec 150 grn. The cheap bulk 50 rnd boxes. I shot the last of my red box (cheaper) Black Hills today, and it wasnt much better than the Magtec stuff.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top