Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just bought a Remington 700 .308 26" ss varmint rifle. I also ordered a Mueller Tac II scope.

My question is what base and rings should I get that will clear the scope? The scope has a 44mm objective lens.

I'm looking to pay up to $100 for them. I don't want just any old cheap rings and base, but I'm not at this time going to buy a $150 base either.

And yes, I'm wanting to shoot it the maximum distance.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Luke2236 said:
Well I just bought a Remington 700 .308 26" ss varmint rifle. I also ordered a Mueller Tac II scope.

My question is what base and rings should I get that will clear the scope? The scope has a 44mm objective lens.

I'm looking to pay up to $100 for them. I don't want just any old cheap rings and base, but I'm not at this time going to buy a $150 base either.

And yes, I'm wanting to shoot it the maximum distance.

Any suggestions?
EGW 20 degree base and Burris Extreme tactical medium rings would be my choice,great quality and resonable prices.

·
Registered
143 Posts
+1 on the EGW 20 MOA base and Burris rings. I just mounted my 50mm Wotac on my new SPS Varmint yesterday. I used the low rings
and it went together great with plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I second the EGW base and also the Burris rings. I put at set of XTR tactical rings on my AR and they are certainly very solid and well made!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SemperFi said:
I second the EGW base and also the Burris rings. I put at set of XTR tactical rings on my AR and they are certainly very solid and well made!
Well I bought the EGW and the Burris rings. Did you have to lap your rings or did you just slap the scope on?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I, Just put them on.The only time I lap rings is if the scope does not slide freely when I put
the caps on lightly,I have found usually the only rings to lap have been steel rings,such as the millett,leupold turn in, and burris z ring. But I am sure there are those that lap every thing.With
todays precision machining I think its probally less common.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I went to put my scope on and go out in the field and there seems to be a problem. I try using the magnification and it doesn't seem to work. I turn it left and right and I still have the same image in the scope.

On the bright side even with that not working and my first time out shooting a .308 and I was getting about on avg. about 1.5 inch groupings.

My last two shots were right on top of one another, even if they weren't where I wanted them. I need a lot more practice. Hopefully I can get a new Mueller pretty soon that works.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sure it wasn't the Focus instead of the Magnification?? Ive made that mistake myself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I used the focus to focus the distant image. I had to unscrew the magnification to turn it. Thanks for the thought though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sportsman's Guide whom I bought the scope from on Amazon is replacing the scope. Very smooth transaction so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts