Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Interesting design. Should be good for cutting down on the "face slapping" side-blast.
There is a new design out but only for the 5.56 currently from Lantac called the BRD. It is designed to retain as much of the benefit as possible to their Dragon brake and still direct the majority of the concussion and sound forward of the shooter. Currently it is only a pre-order item. Likely some time before any good reviews are available.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Didn't wan't to start a new thread for this:

Do you guys have any experience with SilencerCo Specwar or Saker brakes? They look like pretty straight-forward three-port designs so I assume they mitigate recoil about as well as any others that share their design. My question is more about the material quality and overall fit and finish.

They cost about $50.00 less than the AAC or SureFire brakes of similar design and features. All of the brakes I'm looking at are also suppressor mounts but since I don't own a suppressor yet, I figure I can get the brake first and then buy a compatible can later on.

The SilencerCo models got my attention because of their price but I'm wondering if they cost less because they are inferior to their competitors.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't have the Saker brake but I have the break for the Omega (ASR mount) and AAC brake for a SDN-6 and I haven't seen either one being of inferior quality. The MSRP prices are about $50 apart but you can find them below MSRP and closer to $30 apart. Both companies are great companies. You'll have some people bad mouthing AAC because they were bought out by Remington and there CS went down the crapper while they were being moved but since they have completed the move they have the same great CS that they used to. You can't go wrong with either company IMHO.
Didn't wan't to start a new thread for this:

Do you guys have any experience with SilencerCo Specwar or Saker brakes? They look like pretty straight-forward three-port designs so I assume they mitigate recoil about as well as any others that share their design. My question is more about the material quality and overall fit and finish.

They cost about $50.00 less than the AAC or SureFire brakes of similar design and features. All of the brakes I'm looking at are also suppressor mounts but since I don't own a suppressor yet, I figure I can get the brake first and then buy a compatible can later on.

The SilencerCo models got my attention because of their price but I'm wondering if they cost less because they are inferior to their competitors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The best muzzle brake that I have found is a suppressor. It reduces the recoil more then a brake and you'll make a new friend from the guy next to you not an enemy. I have the AAC 51t break my SPS AAC-SD and it works very well but when I add the suppressor it reduces the recoil even further and hearing safe for the shooter and everyone around so there are never any complaints from the next bench over.

I don't think they reduce recoil more than a brake. They certainly reduce recoil a lot, and less noise helps as well...but a good brake can do more for pure recoil reduction. A big reason as to why competitive shooters use them mostly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Out of curiosity what suppressor are you running or have you run?

Best Precision Suppressor & Muzzle Brake: What The Pros Use 2012 - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/12/20/best-suppressors-and-muzzle-brakes/

As mentioned in the article muzzle brakes might have a tiny edge for recoil reduction over a suppressor but in my experience it's slim to none and my shooting neighbors and myself much more prefer shooting suppressed then with the bare break and suppressors have additional benefits of not kicking up dirt while shooting, improved accuracy, not needing hearing protection, slight increase in muzzle velocity, etc.

Suppressors may not be the end all be all best recoil reducer but they do reduce almost as well or as well as most brakes.

I don't think they reduce recoil more than a brake. They certainly reduce recoil a lot, and less noise helps as well...but a good brake can do more for pure recoil reduction. A big reason as to why competitive shooters use them mostly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
after reading this i have decided if you can not beat them you may aswell join them.my rifle is having a nice little muzzle brake fitted as we speak and i will pick it up next month so it will be interesting to see what all the fuss is about

·
Registered
196 Posts
after reading this i have decided if you can not beat them you may aswell join them.my rifle is having a nice little muzzle brake fitted as we speak and i will pick it up next month so it will be interesting to see what all the fuss is about

I had a brake made and in stalled on my 300wm build. The difference was amazing. The recoil is on par with a 308. Be mindful of the poor SOB that's next you you at the range though. They can be annoying :rolleyes: lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the silencerco Trifecta. I'm not sure about my range buddies but even with good plugs stuffed in each ear I learned not to use a pickup bed as my brass catcher! Right ear got some damage. When I'm at an actual range and not on home average I've never seen anyone move away from me or say anything. I've got a small flip depending on how I'm supporting the rifle. Never bought into the can thing tho. I've heard they attach very easily.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have the silencerco Trifecta. I'm not sure about my range buddies but even with good plugs stuffed in each ear I learned not to use a pickup bed as my brass catcher! Right ear got some damage. When I'm at an actual range and not on home average I've never seen anyone move away from me or say anything. I've got a small flip depending on how I'm supporting the rifle. Never bought into the can thing tho. I've heard they attach very easily.
I am sure the style of brake and the caliber of the gun has a lot to do with the amount of punishment given. I have had many shooters move away after a few shots. I am mindful to stay away from others. But some feel the need to crowd me when there is plenty of room away from me

Here is my most annoying brake. AR50 in a 50bmg. You won't stay next to me at the range very long:

[video=youtube;bGMjPHDdc8s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGMjPHDdc8s[/video]

I had a guy park right next to me at the range a few years ago. I suggested he move over to the the other end were no one was shooting. Well, he said said it will be fine. I asked him to stand behind me while I fired the first shot just to be sure. :rolleyes: I fired and blew his range bag and targets off his table. Needless to say, he moved! I have video somewhere of it clearing the table off next to me. I won't shoot it if there is someone within a few spaces. It's dangerous, and rude of me to do so.

My 300wm is not quite as bad. But it's bad enough. It's a large and rather effective brake. So it does it's job and directs the muzzle blast to the side and back. If it doesn't annoy the guy next to you it's not working very well. JMHO.

Yeah, the sound coming back is deafening. I can only imagine what it's like shooting from the bed of a pickup truck! I know what it's like just shooting under a pavilion canopy. That truck bed has to be an echo chamber!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ha! What? Still cant hear you...................

I had the muzzle on the tailgate and it still got too loud.
I bet! there is a video on one of the forums I belong to of one one of the members father shooting across a truck tailgate sideways. The brake was not that far from the tail light. Needless to say, the tail light did not hold up! LOL.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I am sure the style of brake and the caliber of the gun has a lot to do with the amount of punishment given. I have had many shooters move away after a few shots. I am mindful to stay away from others. But some feel the need to crowd me when there is plenty of room away from me

Here is my most annoying brake. AR50 in a 50bmg. You won't stay next to me at the range very long:

[video=youtube;bGMjPHDdc8s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGMjPHDdc8s[/video]

I had a guy park right next to me at the range a few years ago. I suggested he move over to the the other end were no one was shooting. Well, he said said it will be fine. I asked him to stand behind me while I fired the first shot just to be sure. :rolleyes: I fired and blew his range bag and targets off his table. Needless to say, he moved! I have video somewhere of it clearing the table off next to me. I won't shoot it if there is someone within a few spaces. It's dangerous, and rude of me to do so.

My 300wm is not quite as bad. But it's bad enough. It's a large and rather effective brake. So it does it's job and directs the muzzle blast to the side and back. If it doesn't annoy the guy next to you it's not working very well. JMHO.

Yeah, the sound coming back is deafening. I can only imagine what it's like shooting from the bed of a pickup truck! I know what it's like just shooting under a pavilion canopy. That truck bed has to be an echo chamber!
We have an oldtimer at our club that HATES muzzle brakes, period. If anyone at all has one he makes it a point to stand near them and bitch. Has even gone to our range committee and asked that they be banned from the range. The committee told him it was a GUN RANGE and they tended to be REALLY LOUD. If he didn't care for the noise, maybe he should consider fishing as a hobby. :) :)

I did sit next to a guy one day that had a 338LM. When he fired the first shot it pushed my hat back against the headband on my hearing protection. I smiled and told him that was some blast. Then proceeded to continue with my shooting (after I turned my hat backwards :) )

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.