Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here. I have decided to jump into the remington 700 family

So I decided I wanted to build a new rifle to play with in California.

Mission and purpose

*High Accuracy Target shooting, 100-200 yards, 70% of the time
*High Accuracy Target shooting, 201-600 yards, 20% of th time (at least to start)
*Hunting, 10% to start, but maybe more in the future.

Current Rifles Owned

*AR-15, .223, tactical, Semi-Auto, Custom build, EOTECH sight
*Browning BAR, 30-06, Semi-Auto, Leupold vxii 2-7x scope
*Ross Rifle from 1910, .303 British, Straight pull, flip up sights, (I do not shoot since its from 1910 and another one of my late Grandfather's guns)

I like my .223, but it's built for tactical shooting, not high accuracy.
The BAR is a good hunting rifle, but not what i'm looking to use for a every week shooting platform. Plus it's my late Grandfather's and I am very careful with it.

Decision
So I decided on going with a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308.

Reason for decision

*Widely available caliber
*Enough power and weight to reduce wind effect.
*Solid out of the box performance
*Low cost base platform saves money for modifications I have in mind (bipod, scope, aftermarket stock)

So I placed my order today, wait period is 10 days in California.

Optics chosen
Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 8.5-25x50mm Illum. TMR
Found it barely used for a good price.
I know the magnification is overkill and can be limiting for some hunting, but that's whay my 30-06 will be used to supplement. I have a leupold vx-ii 2-7x on that.
- Leupold Mark 4 Rem 700 SA 1-pc (8-40 Adaptable) Matte Tactical Mount
- Leupold Mark 4 Rings, High, Matte Black, Type 30mm Rings (I'm a bit concerned that these will be too high)

Bipod
Harris 6-8" swivel, notched, with the adjustment lever add on.

I"m in Croatia now, but when i come back to the US on Friday everything should be waiting for me to put together.

Now I need to work on a reloading setup. I also plan on changing out the stock in the future and possibly the bolt.

Any advice for a 700 newb?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Nice Stock, grab a HS Police, B&C, McMillian, Manners and choose what fits best. Bolt, put a bigger bolt knob on but thats it in my book. Juts grab ammo and shoot it. Grab as much match ammo as you can find and test it all and see what your rifle lieks and then tweak your handloads from there.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with Quick. One if the biggest limiting factors of the SPS tactical is it's stock. Adding a decent stock with a full-length bedding block that's free floated should give you a decent accuracy gain..it did for me.

You could even go as far as adding a nice trigger, such as a Timney. But the most important thing over any piece of equipment is trigger time...but that's my opinion.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hey thepro8 welcome to the forum I also emailed you back with info regarding scope ring height.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the Replies guys.

I agree with all the advice you guys gave.

I want a new stock, bolt and a badger knob. i'm also going to get reloading equipment and make my own ammo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had a great day at the range yesterday.Went to Los Altos Rod and Gun, 80 degrees and sunny outside on top of the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Just spent time at the 50 yard range to try to sight in the scope. I shot about 30 rounds and really enjoyed the gun. Not too much kick, Good feel to it, and just fun. Unfortunately I didn't get to use the bipod it needed a part replacement, but I used their sandbags.

Once I got the scope sighted in at 50 I actually had 3 of my 3 last shots hit over each other on the bulls-eye. the middle shot was the one to the bottom right.

Can't wait to play on the 100 yard range soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bipod is now installed. Can't wait to try it out.

Also ordered all my reloading equipment.

Also ordered
-Varget powder
-sierra 168 gr bullets
-winchester brass
-federal match primers #210M

·
Registered
277 Posts
Pro, I agree with Quick - BO Knob and call it quits.
I went with a whole new bolt and I went high-end. I got a Tubb and one of his recoil lugs on steroids! Both are very cool additions and have made my rifle remarkable. But the problem comes in when I tried to add the bolt to my gun. It didn't fit! You either have to grind it down, or add the lug and rebarrel. I was going to rebarrel anyway, so it forced me to do so.
Just beware, you don't NEED a new bolt. If you want one that's cool, but like brother Quick said - just throw a BO knob on it and call it good! Besides, range time does more for accuracy than anything else! Especially when you're shooting a 700 - it really is very good "as is".

This is a pic of the Tubb:

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Thepro8, just an FYI. Go to the rcbs website and download the rebate form. Spend 300.00 in rcbs products and get 50.00 mailed to ya. Too bad it's limit one per house per person. I just bought a new reloading setup and capitalized on the rcbs rebate good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys,

I was already on both suggestions :) the knob was ordered last week and I already downloaded the rebate form.

·
Registered
277 Posts
thepro8 said:
Hey guys,

I was already on both suggestions :) the knob was ordered last week and I already downloaded the rebate form.

:) hahahaha

Awesome - happy shooting!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Badger knob and most of my reloading equipment has come in! I'm traveling but will add new pictures soon.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Like Christmas in July! :D

·
Registered
639 Posts
That Tubb bolt looks nice!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mmmm maybe for my 260................How much are they?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Quick said:
That Tubb bolt looks nice!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mmmm maybe for my 260................How much are they?
You'd have to call them for a 260. For the magnum action it was 300 and change.

http://www.superiorshootingsystems.com/ACCESSORIES-CUSTOM_REM_700_BOLT.html

I really fought over weather I should throw that kind of money into an already accurate rifle. But after the fact - since it's holding 3/4moa at 300yds I'm really glad I did it. It's funny my friends are all laughing about this being a new coyote or prairie dog rifle. hahaha Can you imagine the pink mist where the prairie dog used to be sitting? :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I did the badger bolt add on the other day. it was actually a pain to install, just took a long time to grind down. But it looks good.

I also got my reloading equipment setup and did my first batch of ammo

Case: Winchester .308, trimmed to 2.005"
Primer: Federal Match 210M
Bullet: Sierra 168 grain Match King
Powder: 41.5 grains of Varget
COAL: 2.8

I need to get my scope sighted in, it's way off right now so i I didn't worry too much about the recipe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts