·
Registered
17 Posts
She looks as tall as the rifle, cute

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Started life as a ADL 243 Walmart clearance item that I purchased in 2007 for $275 with $30 mail in rebate.

Purchased a 308 VSSF II unfired barrel off a forum for $60 and had Patriot Arms install it and lap my lugs in the process.

Later I picked up a VLS laminated stock from eBay for $60 for her and had a BDL conversion kit given to me.

Then I sent it to Straight ShoT Gunsmithing for his brake to be installed and had a Timney trigger given to me and set for 1.5 lbs

A little later picked up a Callahan Firing Pin Assembly

Then last week this stock was ordered and installed, and next week it will go back to Straight Shot for pillar bedding, spirial fluting of the bolt, and the action/bolt/floor metal KG coated a Brushed Stainless Steel color.

After this vacation for the rifle she will be complete, Then my Winchester M70 Coyote 243 will get some love next year then onto three other 700 projects.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really love the blue in that stock, and that barrel rocks!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the comments, many at the range question my "manhood" for having a brake on a "little ol" 308. Most folks at the range only have expierence with browning boss type brakes. These type are no where near equal to a baffle design. I plan on putting this same brake on all my rifles, even my 243. It just makes it so pleasant to shot at the range. I have also tested removing the brake and the POI does not move.

·
Registered
496 Posts
great looking gun.but since we are practically neighbors wher in the world is straightshot gunsmithing? for years i had Randy Hackle from metter to build mine,but since he burned his hands so bad in the plane crash a couple of years back he cant do it anymore. i am trying a guy outta glenville that has hi praises but he doesnt cut flutes. hope he lives up to reputation. we'll see. if you want to indulge any info. on your guy i would be interested. thanks SWAMPTHANG.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SSG is in North Dakota. He is a fine christian man and great smith. I will send all my work to him. He has worked on 4 rifles of mine and I am fixing to send him another.

If your grazing around metter and glennville we are close. I should get the rifle pictured above back Thursday. excluding optics she is now finished. We have a great range in Lyons if you ever want to meet up there and shoot I can let you see nathan's work.

·
Registered
526 Posts
BigBlack said:
thanks for all the comments, many at the range question my "manhood" for having a brake on a "little ol" 308. Most folks at the range only have expierence with browning boss type brakes. These type are no where near equal to a baffle design. I plan on putting this same brake on all my rifles, even my 243. It just makes it so pleasant to shot at the range. I have also tested removing the brake and the POI does not move.
I've got a break on my .243 AI, bought the rifle that way. Last week on my prairie dog shoot was the first chance I had to really shoot a lot of ammo through it at one sitting. I really like it and wish I had one on my 6 BR. I can see the impact of each shot and call my own misses. It's almost like shooting a .223.

·
Registered
496 Posts
BigBlack said:
SSG is in North Dakota. He is a fine christian man and great smith. I will send all my work to him. He has worked on 4 rifles of mine and I am fixing to send him another.

If your grazing around metter and glennville we are close. I should get the rifle pictured above back Thursday. excluding optics she is now finished. We have a great range in Lyons if you ever want to meet up there and shoot I can let you see nathan's work.
excellant!!! i figured we were close since the treestand lable if i am right i may be GOOD friends with your son.who lives in collins. i didnt know there was a range in lyons it must be private? as soon as i get my girl back i would love to shoot. we can only shoot out to 350yd.on the farm. maybe i can learn a few things. keep in touch

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lew is my brother, our father owns the business. Our range is private, once you join you get the combination of the lock and can come and go as you please. The range has a 5 station automated clay range as well as manual throwers scatered around the property. The pistol range is 50 yards with reactive targets. The rifle range goes out to 300 but has 50, 100, 200 and 300 berms. All shooting locations are covered with concrete shooting benches. There is also 3-d archery targets there too. We also have a cover area with picnic tables and grill in case a member wants to have as get together out there.

It is maintained by a few members so grass can get tall at times but for the most part it is trimmed and kept up pretty good. I like rifle so I do a lot around the rifle range.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few more upgrades

Bedded

Fluted bolt and tactical knob

New scope mount and action KG coated

·
Registered
639 Posts
Nice work mate. Looks good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
BigBlack said:
Just replaced the stock

Letting my daughter dry fire it once

Nice looking; the both of them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mohave-Tec said:
Nice looking; the both of them.
I agree, I appreciate the fact that she's a Southpaw (I am as well) that shoots a right handed firearm. I shoot ambidextrously except for machine guns and handguns, I only shoot them right handed. The bad part comes in when I forget which side I zeroed with on my work weapon. :/

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
shes actually right handed but left eye dominate. Instead of fighting her eyes I just told her to get on the other side. She shoots her BB gun better left handed than right handed. no matter which shoulder she uses its her left eye she tries to sight with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts