Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I just recently ordered my very first bolt action, a 700 SPS TAC in .308, cant wait!. After looking at some of the posts in the last couple of days, i think i have a starting point for my build:
Being this my first bolt action rifle, i wanted to start with a "basic" scope like a Redfield 3-9x 40 mm 1" tube, 4plex reticle
EGW picatinny base (not sure how to properly select the correct MOA, i'm a proud noob :p )
Leupold QRW rings, matte (should i go with low or Medium height for this scope?)
Tactical component Mag xtender (ive seen some so-so reviews in other places)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, i'm really excited about my SPS :D , planning on a lot of target shooting and hopefully some hunting as well.

·
Registered
477 Posts
welcome

i wanna get the same rifle for my next bolt action project (down the road a ways)

with a 40mm objective, i would think you could get away with low rings. but it depends on the base you use. i have a 44mm objective with a 20 MOA base and i use burris low rings.

i have the mag extender as well, i really like it. it takes some fine tuning to get it to fit and work right. but you cant beat the extra capacity you get for the price

throw up some pics when you get it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to go with the the EGW HD 20 MOA base. It should arrive next week, a day or two from when i can pick up my rifle (CA has a 10 day waiting period).

for the scope, i'm thinking of revising my original plan and get the Redfield 4-12x 40mm, 1" instead, anybody familiar with this one?.... i know its not the best scope out there but i figure I'll start from the bottom and work myself up to some of the better ones people use here.

My local gun shop has both (low and med) QRW rings in stock, so i can try both of them.

I heard of a place in Pala that has a 600+yds rifle range, the closes range is only 100 yds.

I'll look into CaPRC to get some hands on training.

Thanks for the help. I'll follow up as soon as my stuff arrives.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just order the mag extender from Midway, it should be here next week as well, I'll follow up with the install.

·
Registered
477 Posts
maybe it's just me, but i think i'd go with a mil-dot scope. i know you want a "basic" scope, but i think it might be good to start familiarizing yourself with one right off the bat.

you could find one for the same price as the redfield.

i just did a right up on the extended mag install while i was at work today. it's in the "how to" forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which one would you recommend 762? i wouldn't mind spending more on a better scope.

Not too familiar with scopes, I've mainly used an RDS, laser or irons on my SR556.

Thanks for the how to on the xtender.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Swfa scope are really nice for the money. The only issue is that the scopes for 300 bucks are fixed power. Maybe look at the Busnell 6500 series there not bad for the money either.

·
Registered
477 Posts
depends on your budget. the redfields are around $200 from what i've seen on the net. i bought a mueller tactical for $150 a few years back. on 10x it has clearer glass than my bushnell spotting scope on max power that cost about the same amount. it tracks great and i've never had a problem with it holding it's zero. it's been zeroed at mil high for the last year and half with no adjustments. in the end, the more you can spend on a scope the better.

in the $300 range, you've got the millet and super sniper scopes. both have some good reviews, havent seen any bad reviews on either. great glass and quality internals, especially the super sniper. guys have taken those to iraq and used them in combat with no problems.

the sky is almost the limit with scopes, they get up to thousands of dollars range real quick (nightforce, leupold, us optics, zeiss....to name a few). one of my cars isnt even worth that much.

i also wouldnt drop a lot of coin on 1" rings if you do go with a basic, intro scope. the higher end scopes have 30mm tubes or larger (most of the time). when you do upgrade to a higher quality scope, you'll have to drop more money on 30mm rings. and you dont wanna skimp on rings after you've just spent $1000 on a scope.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After looking at whats out there, I figure my budget should be in the $400, and I would mainly use the scope in the 100-600 yd range and depending on the scope, upgrade or go for longer distances once i achieve good groups.

I've handled some scopes at the local shop and i think i prefer the variable power ones, with fraction MOA click adjustments.

Good point on the 1" rings, the 30mm rings make sense.

I'm taking my SR556 to the range tomorrow, i'll check what they have in the shop there too.

Thanks for all the suggestion, greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
639 Posts
ook at the Bushnell Elite 5-15x40 Tactical, great value for money. I used to run one on my SPS Tactical. With a 20MOA base, you can get to 800m with this scope.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used a leupold 3x9 40mm 1" yesterday on my friends brand new 308 ruger scout, we had to keep reajusting after about 40 rounds in, but after that we were in the three ring at 100 yds.

So i did some searching online and found the following:
Bushnell 3200 5x14 40, 1" for $300 delivered
Millet 4-16x 50 30mm (BK81008) and also a (BK81001) for around $350 delivered, i noticed they have an illuminated mil dot reticle.

Let me know what you guys think.

Also, to the moderator, it looks like i'm pushing this topic in to the optics thing, please let me know if i should move this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ive never used the Millet so cant comment but the Bushnell is great value for money. Unless your doing Lowlight shooting, Illium reticle isnt needed mate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually decided to go with the 3-9x42/30mm super sniper. It'll come with a bobro mount, BC covers, sun chade and ARD.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts