Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for a good hunting rifle but ive never owned a rifle like this before. i have figured out that i want a model 700 but i dont know exactly which kind i want or what caliber. my target range is 200 to 400 yards with plenty of power behind the round. i do have an AR15 with the standard 223 caliber and if the 700 with a 223 caliber fits the bill i would like to know.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It would depend on what you're going to hunt. .223 won't be any more powerful in a 700 than it is in your AR and neither would be suitable for hunting at 400 yards unless you're talking about prairie dogs.

For smaller deer and antelope a .243 would do but anything bigger, I'd go with a .308

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much. After doing some more research and some tips from buddies i think im going to get something along the lines of the model 700 xcr tactical long range .308. i figure it would serve me well in all weather conditions and be strong enough to take a variety of game down.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC is a 1-n-10 which will allow you to use heavier "game" loads!!!!! :D

It's also half as much money and has a much better setup for hunters.

Or I'd get the SPS Tac, it's a 1-n-12 same as that XCR your buddies told you about, just a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only features that are missing from the sps tactical aac and sps tactical is the trynite coating for the weather conditions. that is a key part in my decision, and i also like longer barrels around 24" but 26" will be alright.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No, the biggest feature is the 1/10 twist barrel vs. the 1/12 twist barrel. You are missing the biggest, most important hunting feature. If you were looking for just a target rifle then it wouldn't matter, but you are giving up knock-down power just to get a longer barrel with some fancy coating. Doesn't make sense to give up all that for a coating on a barrel that you could paint or coat yourself.

Get what you want, just know the difference. That way you're an informed buyer, not just some guy listening to his "friends who know all about guns".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts