Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm purchasing my first 870 today and was looking at the recoil reducing collapsible stock from black hawk and was curious it its worth the $150. I'm going to be using this gun for home defense and slug hunting for deer. It comes with the rifled and28" barrels. But it doesn't have a mount for optics and was wanting to put a red dot on it. So any advice as always is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
IMO the Blackhawk stocks do not do the job and think that they are a waste of money.

A good recoil pad like the R3 will suffice.

As for the Red Dot, you could drill and tap the receiver for a base or use a saddle mount which tends to place the scope a tad too high.

If you are getting an 870 with a synthetic stock, which tends to have a hollow sound to it when knocked, I just us Great Stuff foam insulation to fill up the cavity. Be careful that you don't fill in the stock screw.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thinking I might buy the synthetic pistol grip stock from remington thin its called the sure shot. Seems like it will suit my needs without making a big dent in my wallet.

·
Registered
477 Posts
you could buy six 100 shell boxes from walmart for $150. gadgets never do what they say they will (most of the time)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I know the stock I was looking at in blackhawk was a knoxx recoil reducing stock. But I decided against it. But still contemplating the remington sure shot stock like the pistol grip style on it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The Knoxx is a very fine stock. I ran about 100 slugs through my 870 with one during an instructor course last month. If you're doing "combat" - AKA: Killing Bad Guys - I'd say go for it. Hunting? Maybe a more traditional stock. Shop around. $150 seems a little high. The spec ops model doesn't have the recoil reduction, FYI. It won't take away 90% of the recoil as advertised, but it will shave off a good third or close to a half. If you do a lot of AR-15/M4 work, I'd say go with the Knoxx, but if not... go with a more traditional stock.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ill keep that in mind. Thanks for the advice paladin its greatly appreciated. You know anything about the remington sure shot replacement?

·
Registered
225 Posts
FWIW I have an 870 and an 1100 with Choate pistol grip stocks and think they are the grits - love them.

Brownells has them for $75 - PN 159-100-000

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice remingtons. I like those stocks. Looks like that's more of what would suit my needs since I will be using this not only for home defense but will be using it for deer hunting. Since here in illinois we can't use rifles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts