Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after watching most people on here reloading I finally decided to do the same fortunately a good freind owns a gun shop and was able to set me up with everthing I needed and point in the right direction to start me off.
After tumbling and decapping around a 100 or so 243 and 308 cases I set about looking through this forum and others to see what loads and projectiles they were using man It can get a bit overwhelming trying to decide what projectile powder and primer to use!
I ended up settling with some 168smk's and 165 Nosler Bllistic tips for the 308 and 70 smk's and Nosler Varmit Ballistic tips. Now the next problem was how much powder and how far do I seat them??? Then I was told about a bullet comparator and the sinclair head space gauge (WTF) so on the net again to see how to use them correctly man you can literally find anything you need to know on you tube hey! Now armed with a head space gauge and comparator i was able to get my head space size which was 2.832 Jason Bourne said I should back it off to around 10 to 20 thou of which I did thanks for that mate.
Then according to the handloading guide I was useing it said 42gn of 2208 ADI (australian company) man I got the shit with using the scale so I went out an bought an electronic powder thrower man what a machine it's pouring the next one while you seat the first one. I seated themn at the 10 to 20 thou off the lands and went to the range to test them out.

First up was the .243 which I've never been able to get better than .865 moa with factory ammo

First 5 shot were with Remington Accutips then the next were with Sierra Match Kings 10thou off the lands and i was getting excited. I let the Barrel cool down so I grabbed the .308 started off with some factory ammo then 5 shots of 168 SMK's 20thou off the lands and though I was onto something then another 5 at 10 thou and what a difference they really opened up. Back to the 243 and now 5 shot with the Noslers at 10 thou off and I think I hit the sweet spot I was so stoked to say the least I never thought I could actually make my own hand load shoot that good I've finally seen why people handload.
Definately hooked now!

some other pics off 308 loads

In this last pic Idon't know if you can make it out but the bottom circle farthest to the left was a 4 shot one hole job with a flyer but I coudn't retrieve my target as they just did a target change and the next change was 30mins away I had to get going to make it to work.

So what the next step do I try to get more speed or do I just be happy with what I have at the moment?

Cheers Nathan

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
You can experiment with different charge weights, different powders, different primers, different brass. There are too many variables lol. Or you can try to fine tune your current load. From what I see it seams one of your accuracy loads is at 42gr. You can work a latter in small increments 42.2,42.4,42.6 and re test. You would
Be surprised what .2 more/less powder can do to a load.

Just make sure to check for pressure signs on the case and primers.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Like jasonbourne said, you'd be amazed what .2gr of powder can do for a load. You'd also be surprised what just changing a primer can do.

I've always used Federal 210M (match) for my .308s, but one time I couldn't get them so I went with the Federal 210 (champion) and my groups opened up about .5moa. It also depends on your powder.. Some say the CCI benchrest primers are the best for Varget (same powder you're using, A2208 ADI), but my luck has been with the Federal match primers.

The cases play a big part too.. I like LC cases, and the Hornady Match cases. But everyone is different.

Again, the variables are immense. I know there's a few sites that sell bullet samples (granted you'll pay 2-3x more per bullet than you'd pay if you bought in bulk). I usually buy my supplies through Powder Valley, but being a US based company I'm not sure they'll ship over there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Etkini the primers I use are cci benchrest also a few f-classes at the range told me about the Federal Gold medal match are worth a try too.
Any suggestions on projectiles? Have heard nothing but good things about the Berger range.

·
Registered
173 Posts
At least for me, a box of primers is $3-4/100, so it's not that costly to try a bunch of different brands.

I run an SPS Tactical in a B&C Medalist stock, not bedded (yet). It's got the stock barrel, 1/12" twist. So with this being said, it's damn near impossible to seat the round close to the lands, as the OAL would be somewhere around 3.2". I load 2.800" for most rounds, and have experimented out to 2.92". But here's what I've came up with so far, and as time and money allots it'll expand.

As for projectiles, I've ran about 500 of the Hornady 168gr BTHP (SKU: 30501) so far and really, really like them. On top of 42.2grs of Varget I'm getting consistently less than .5moa. I've found their weights to be pretty good, no worse variations than Sierra or Barnes. Well, that and they're significantly cheaper than the SMKs. As in $.10 a bullet cheaper.

For everything else I've tried so far:

Hornady 165GR SSTs (SKU: 30452) - I tried one box, after about 20 shots hated them. I shot through the rest just to get rid of them, and have about 20 left. They were pretty inconsistent. Anywhere from .45moa to 3moa.

Sierra Matchking 168gr HPBT (SKU: 2200) - They were the same as the Hornady 168gr BTHPs.

Barnes Match Burners 175gr HPBT (SKU: 30896) - I've only ran about 30 so far..they're alright but I didn't really adjust powder too much. I was getting between .5-.75moa.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have tried several different cases in my .308. No matter the manufactor, take the time to prep the cases. I personally like Federal Gold cases. Unfortunately as far as I know, you can't purchase them without buying loaded ammo. I get mine as once fired cases on gunbroker.com.
If your shooting them n a 700 or another bolt rifle, NEVER full length resize them after the enitial sizing. After that, only resize the neck with a collet die.
I've had excellent loads using 168smk's and Reloader 15 powder. Another powder I've had good results with is IMR 4064. I am currently trying IMR 4208. I will let you know how it comes out. I've heard really good things about IMR 4208. But, each rifle is a individual. What works really well in one, may not in another. I am having to restart all my tests for the "best" load for my rifle. I recently rebarreled my rifle with a Mike Rock barrel and replaced the bolt with a Tubbs bolt and also a oversize barrel lug, also from Tubbs.
As far as how far to place the bullet from the lands, what you have is a good starting point. But try moving the bullet in and out a few thousands and find that sweet spot for your rifle. Mine, before the rework, liked the bullets at 30 thousands. You will also find, as you shoot more rounds through your bore, you will need to adjust your seating depth on your bullets. This is be ause of throat erosion. How quickly this happens varies. Happy shooting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts