700Rifle.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I was able to pull off with

175 SMK
IMR 4064 @ 44.2 grains or 44.7 (I kinda mixed the reloads, but both shoot under .5 MOA for me) 44.2 FPS is 2570 at 51* and 44.7 FPS is 2598 at 51*
Winchester Brass trimmed at 2.005 (only neck sized)
Federal 210M primer
COAL: 2.800

Clear Lake, CA

Altitude 1400
BP: 30.06 last I got before no cell range
Temp: 51*
Humidity: 40-60 (not really sure and I really need to get a Kestrel 4200 now)
Wind 5-10 MPH @ 2 O'Clock from my direction.
Clear Sky

Here is what I did with my last 4 shots I had left, and incase you cant see it its 2.520" @ 534 yards (range finder was used for distance)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
I doped up 13.50 MOA I tried to use the mill system on my scope for some varget loads but it didnt work at all. I was about used about 4 mills maybe. Im going to have to get a weather station for long range shooting I guess. Hey JFComfort what do you use for long ranger estimation ? tools wise. thanks for info.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
Thanks!
I doped up 13.50 MOA I tried to use the mill system on my scope for some varget loads but it didnt work at all. I was about used about 4 mills maybe. Im going to have to get a weather station for long range shooting I guess. Hey JFComfort what do you use for long ranger estimation ? tools wise. thanks for info.
The work horse is my shooting buddies Lecia 1200 LRF. It does a good job but depending on conditions can sometimes be hard to get a read at 1k yards + or sometimes less.

If your familiar with your shooting areas land scape Google earth is a big help and can be very accurate. I just designate land marks I can identify and use their scale to get a point A to point B distance.

If all else fails I use my rifle scopes reticle to range estimate. You have to know the size of your target or a close approximation. Range estimation works well close up but can get very tricky @ 600 yards +

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And how about a weather station ? Any suggestions ? And thanks for the info above :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
We use a combination of Google Earth and GPS. There is an airport about 5 miles from where we shoot and it's at the same elevation so it gets us close enough for our purposes. This year we are going with a Droid X using the "Shooter" app. I hope we can get internet at the dog town.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I use the iPhone 4 Ballistic FTE and its really great. I just dont have a weather meter tool and might get the Kestrel 4200 or 4500

·
Registered
600 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
And how about a weather station ? Any suggestions ? And thanks for the info above :)
We use a Kestrel 4500 to keep track of atmospheric conditions. If your willing to spend the money they are a great tool but honestly if you check conditions before you head out that is good enough to do some serious shooting. I run ballistics on JBM a lot with different weather variables to give me an idea how the conditions might change my hard dope.

Ballistics FTE does a good job pulling info from the nearest weather station so if you can get a reading from the closest station to where your shooting you should be in good shape running the program with that info.

The real gem with the Kestrel is the wind meter. It has helped substantially increased our ability to make 1st round long range (600 yards +) hits.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well this morning I ordered a 4000NV unit........ I got it for 233 at my door. The differences between the 4000 and 4500 is not much. For LR shooting the 4000 should be perfect.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Winxp_Man said:
Well this morning I ordered a 4000NV unit........ I got it for 233 at my door. The differences between the 4000 and 4500 is not much. For LR shooting the 4000 should be perfect.
whered ya snag a deal like that, with our CDN $ doing good i'd like to jump on that bandwagon, the 4000nv is going for $379 + shipping up here!! sick what you paid shipped, is the price of the 2500 nv or 3000 haha

·
Registered
403 Posts
Pretty damn good shooting there Aron! The video at the bottom of your signature is killing me! :lol:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love that little vid the first time I was it cracked me up for a couple of days :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts