Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all! I am new to the forum and for my first post I wanted to share a pic of my new 700 SPS Tactical .308 rifle I got last week. Very excited to have my first bolt gun. The scope is a Nikon 6x18x40 SF. Looking forward getting it on the bench and out in the field. Good to see a forum on the 700 series rifles!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
GREAT PIC, I HAVE THE SAME SCOPE ON MY 700 VS .223. GREAT OPTIC FOR THE PRICE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I like it ! I see your a reloader from your pic , what are we gonna be loading for this baby? I think I see some varget on your bench , that might be a good place to start. What's the plan? I've been working up loads for my 26" sps lately and I'd love to compare notes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frogdog said:
I like it ! I see your a reloader from your pic , what are we gonna be loading for this baby? I think I see some varget on your bench , that might be a good place to start. What's the plan? I've been working up loads for my 26" sps lately and I'd love to compare notes.
So far I haven't shot my loads with Varget yet, but I do have some loaded to test out next time and see if they fly straight. I believe I used 44g Varget, Win brass, 168 SMK, CCI 200 LR primer and a COAL of 2.800". I will get back on this work up and fill you in. The last loads I loaded that worked very well in the first firing of the rifle were 43g RL-15, Win brass, 168 SMK, Wolf LR primer and a COAL of 2.800". Next time out I am pushing the target out to 200 yds and see how we do and I will get back on that as well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lv700sps said:
what base and rings you got on it??
I installed Leupold's 2 piece QRW base and QRW rings. This mount is quick release and seems to be very solid and work well so far. I have not removed the scope yet and reattached to see if it returns to zero like they advertise. I will do this soon so I have piece of mind when I do that the scope will be on target when Im out in the field.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
I remember when my SPS T looked like that. Several hundreds of dollars ago.:p

Welcome to the board. I was glad to find a 700 board as well since it seemed like there was a board for everything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright fellas I am looking to get an H-S Precision stock for my rifle....knowing that it is a 700 SPS Tactical .308.....what kinda barrel contour am I looking at. It is a Tactical and is a Varmint barrel contour compatible? Let me know so i can pick the right one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Yes, It is, your tactical is just shorter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dratt1957 said:
Yes, It is, your tactical is just shorter.
Very good! Thanks for the 411 Dale...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
308isgreat said:
dratt1957 said:
Yes, It is, your tactical is just shorter.
Very good! Thanks for the 411 Dale...
Hey 308isgreat,understand you guys out in Cali have a new law coming in January 2011
they hold your ammo as hostage,untill you give them money and a thumb print?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dratt1957 said:
308isgreat said:
dratt1957 said:
Yes, It is, your tactical is just shorter.
Very good! Thanks for the 411 Dale...
Hey 308isgreat,understand you guys out in Cali have a new law coming in January 2011
they hold your ammo as hostage,untill you give them money and a thumb print?
You are correct and this is why as well as many other reasons I would like to leave this God forsaken state. Looks like I as well as many are stuck here to fight and we are in the works to petition to repeal this asinine law so look for this one to heat up as the year goes on! For those of you who live in a more friendly state you can track many gun related issues pertaining to this state on a site I frequent........ calguns.net
This thing aint over until it's over! :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
308isgreat said:
dratt1957 said:
308isgreat said:
Very good! Thanks for the 411 Dale...
Hey 308isgreat,understand you guys out in Cali have a new law coming in January 2011
they hold your ammo as hostage,untill you give them money and a thumb print?
You are correct and this is why as well as many other reasons I would like to leave this God forsaken state. Looks like I as well as many are stuck here to fight and we are in the works to petition to repeal this asinine law so look for this one to heat up as the year goes on! For those of you who live in a more friendly state you can track many gun related issues pertaining to this state on a site I frequent........ calguns.net
This thing aint over until it's over! :mad:
That SUCKS, as you may already know as California goes so does the nation,hope you can get it
repealed.I heared it's going to cost you tax payers millions to institute this assinine law,and
California is how many billion in debt...........AMAZING. You need to get rid of Arnold and Nancy
and Barbara and ? did I miss anyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Wow, this is crazy this kind of stuff. Doing something like this is obviously an infringement on the second amendment. They will go out of their way to defend free speech, but when it comes to guns it's a different story. Double standard anyone? Anyone?

I think the outside diameter of the SPS barrel is .875" inches and is just a shorter variant of the Varmit contour.

Here's a pic I snapped awhile back.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Excellent rifle, the first thing you will have to do though, is get rid of the stock, I bought a 700 tactical, the stock has too much flex in it and will harm your accuracy. Otherwise an excellent rifle, I can hit golf balls at 200 yds with mine with 68 grn matchkings. My 308 is as accurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
erpd527 said:
Excellent rifle, the first thing you will have to do though, is get rid of the stock, I bought a 700 tactical, the stock has too much flex in it and will harm your accuracy. Otherwise an excellent rifle, I can hit golf balls at 200 yds with mine with 68 grn matchkings. My 308 is as accurate.
Well fellas I broke down and purchased my HS Precision stock today on Midway's site because they had them on sale for $285. Its alot of money to invest in alot of plastic, but I know after all of the research it will be a huge improvement over the overmold stock it came with. Damn this feels alot like an infection I got building my black rifle! Looks like after I recieve the stock, get it installed, to the range and snap some new pic's I will share with you the improvement to the rifle. Now it's time for the agonizing wait for the UPS truck to arrive! :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
308isgreat said:
erpd527 said:
Excellent rifle, the first thing you will have to do though, is get rid of the stock, I bought a 700 tactical, the stock has too much flex in it and will harm your accuracy. Otherwise an excellent rifle, I can hit golf balls at 200 yds with mine with 68 grn matchkings. My 308 is as accurate.
Well fellas I broke down and purchased my HS Precision stock today on Midway's site because they had them on sale for $285. Its alot of money to invest in alot of plastic, but I know after all of the research it will be a huge improvement over the overmold stock it came with. Damn this feels alot like an infection I got building my black rifle! Looks like after I recieve the stock, get it installed, to the range and snap some new pic's I will share with you the improvement to the rifle. Now it's time for the agonizing wait for the UPS truck to arrive! :(
Congrat's... bet you can't wait. Did you have a coupon code for Midway? I might have one around here in an email somewhere.... they are a great company to deal with.

dratt1957 said:
Hey 308isgreat,understand you guys out in Cali have a new law coming in January 2011
they hold your ammo as hostage, untill you give them money and a thumb print?
This however SUCKS... this also limit's purchasing ammo off the internet too?
Good thing you got a re-loader, and a jump on all of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
SemperFi said:
Wow, this is crazy this kind of stuff. Doing something like this is obviously an infringement on the second amendment. They will go out of their way to defend free speech, but when it comes to guns it's a different story. Double standard anyone? Anyone?

I think the outside diameter of the SPS barrel is .875" inches and is just a shorter variant of the Varmit contour.

Here's a pic I snapped awhile back.

Thats correct it is a double standard,but thats what happens when you're governed by morons
and fanatics, if stuff like this is allowed to go by unnoticed and undemonstrated it will spread to the
rest of the country like the plague that it is..........TEA ANYONE? (join a tea party near you) and
at least be heard! THEY WILL BE GOING AFTER THE RELOADING STUFF NEXT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
308isgreat said:
Well fellas I broke down and purchased my HS Precision stock today on Midway's site because they had them on sale for $285. Its alot of money to invest in alot of plastic, but I know after all of the research it will be a huge improvement over the overmold stock it came with.
Well, to be honest it's more than plastic. The factory stock could be described as such, but what you bought is much, much more.
The bedding block alone is a significant improvement, and the glass construction of the stock body is rather durable, and with that block you won't have to worry about flex.
H-S customer service is good as well. I called about a used stock that I had bought that didn't have one of the sling studs on it. I had no idea when it was made (important because they changed their stud threads a few years ago). They sent me two sling studs of each thread type in the mail that day. I was quickly ready to go. I've heard of similar good results with stock repairs, and the one I saw that they fixed after it cracked from overtorquing was about flawless.
I'd rather pay $250-300 for a stock that I know I don't have to worry about and that will be supported, and have peace of mind for the life of the rifle. It sucks up front, but its worth it.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top