Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got it a few weeks ago, sadly I've only been out to the range with it once since I got it, I've just been to busy. rifle is factory spec,harris bi-pod, leupold scope base and rings and a BSA 6-24 tactical scope. I was planning on going to the range this weekend but the hurricane scrapped those plans, possibly next week or weekend I'll get out to the range, when I do I'll take some photos.

cheers!!

DSC_0255 by HawaiiNate, on Flickr

DSC_0251 by HawaiiNate, on Flickr

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nice setup, hope you get to shoot soon,I too have been chomping at the bit to go shooting,
but have been remodeling my house and I couldn't even get to my reloader if I wanted to!
if it's not one thing it's always another as they say :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. possibly tomorrow but we'll see, hurricane earl fizzled out so i may get out to the range tomorrow so we shall see. really I can't wait to replace the stock, I don't like how it feels nor how it looks, I'd like to get either a bell and carson or an HS precision. few more paychecks before that though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yea, I have a sps varmint in 223 and replaced the stock with an HS precision :D much mo betta :lol:
it really does make a difference. good shooting at the range,I have to work all weekend. :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check ebay for a stock. I got a HS Precision for just over $200.00 and a Bell&Carlson Varmint/Tactical just sold for $175.00. You never know worth a look.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got out to the range today, got it finally sighted in properly now, getting 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards which I'm sure is me not the rifle.

·
Registered
190 Posts
frozenhawaiian said:
got out to the range today, got it finally sighted in properly now, getting 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards which I'm sure is me not the rifle.
what ammo are you shooting? it should shoot much better than that!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that time was american tactical 150 grain, which from what I understand is horribly inconsistent. I ordered up some better quality hornady ammo.
come next paycheck the factory stock is getting replaced as well.

·
Registered
403 Posts
frozenhawaiian said:
that time was american tactical 150 grain, which from what I understand is horribly inconsistent. I ordered up some better quality hornady ammo.
come next paycheck the factory stock is getting replaced as well.
Theres the answer...my SPS Tactical's groups really scatter using this stuff. About the only thing I would use this ammo for is for expensive plinking. Throw down a few hard earned bucks and get a box of Federal Gold Medal Match 168g SMK and then you will see what that beauty will do! By the way welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the welcome!
I've used up the american tactical stuff and I ordered some of the hornady custom 150 grain SST ammo, give that a try and see how it goes. hopefully gonna get out to the range again this weekend.

·
Registered
190 Posts
BobC said:
You might want to consider another trigger at some point down the road as well. I ultimately ended up with a Timney. Best move so far. Every Remington I get will have one from now on.
http://www.700rifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=370
I thought I had a rare defective trigger. It turned out to be a lot more common an occurrence than I originally thought.
mine is the x-mark trigger 1st gen. it is adjustable but you do have to take it out of the stock,mine
is adjusted to about 2 1/2 lbs and has no creep and breaks like glass. I am pleased with it.fh maybe
you lucked out and got the 1st gen.(without the adj.screw in the middle of the trigger) and can get
it adjusted down,it will make a difference.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the trigger with the screw in the middle of the trigger, at least so far I like it, breaks clean and pull is pretty light. at some point I'll probably replace it. The stock is really what I want to replace first, I really don't like the factory stock this rifle came with, I find it uncomfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
far better groups today than last time out. the range we went to this weekend was only out too 100 yards so sadly I couldn't really stretch the rifles legs but I had a good time nonetheless, i was shooting some 150 grain remington ammo from walmart, wasn't gonna use the more expensive higher grade hornady ammo at 100 yards. best group was a little bigger than a quarter. I had some golf balls laying around and decided to take them along as well, hit em dead on, this was the only ball I was able to find after I shot it.

P9190002 by HawaiiNate, on Flickr

P9190013 by HawaiiNate, on Flickr

P9190032 by HawaiiNate, on Flickr

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
quick question guys, I'm picking up an HS precision stock in a few days from stockys and I'm a little confused about which model is the proper fit for the SPS-V, the PST012 i believe is the right stock, the one made for a #3 contour barrel?

·
Registered
89 Posts
frozenhawaiian said:
frozenhawaiian said:
quick question guys, I'm picking up an HS precision stock in a few days from stockys and I'm a little confused about which model is the proper fit for the SPS-V, the PST012 i believe is the right stock, the one made for a #3 contour barrel?
the meek shall inherit the earth. The brave shall inherit the oceans.
Looks like it should work fine. In fact I like it so much I might try one my self.

·
Registered
190 Posts
good shooting there tiger. :D

1 - 20 of 70 Posts