Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Long time reader, but this is my first post. Until today, I was only a dreamer. But now, I am he proud owner of a beautiful Remington 700 and feel I need to share it with all of you appreciative people out there. :cool:

Today I picked up this 700 Varmint with a 26" fluted stainless steel barrel as a trade for my Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum. While I will miss that beautiful wheel gun, I couldn't be happier with the trade. I found a Millett TRS-1 6-18x50 scope for sale on Armslist and picked that up on my way home for $200 including the mount, which I felt was an okay price. Anyways, here are some pictures of my new rig! Sorry for the terrible quality, I have really poor lighting in my house. I will be sure to take some nicer shots tomorrow during the day. By the way this is laid out on my new Cabela's Black Mountain Tactical drag mat case, pretty awesome case and even cooler shooting mat setup for only $60!

IMG_1399.jpg IMG_1397.jpg IMG_1398.jpg

Needless to say, this will be a welcome addition to my slow growing arsenal, which now contains this 700, a Smith & Wesson M&P15, Glock 34 Gen 4, Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag, and a particularly neat Izhmash Biathlon 7-4 ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I shot it today, turns out the scope mount is a total POS but other than that the gun shoots great! I was only able to shoot 50 yards indoors, but I was shooting decent groups (8 rounds in about a 1" ragged hole with 2 "fliers" just outside the main group) even while fighting with the scope mount which refused to stay tightened even after being torqued. I just ordered a set of Burris XTR rings, so that should solve all of my problems. Otherwise, I'm a happy camper. Now to save up for a better stock, and a bipod.:D

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Welcome to the 700 club! Yes that is a really good deal for that mat. The only issue I would say in interior tie downs. There are a million on the outside though. Now as for the rings that mount does not look bad. How do you install the caps? I would recommend using the correct torque wrench. All of the scope mounting tools all are in inch pounds NOT foot pounds. Also a thing to keep in mind is the caps need about 10-15 inch pounds and the side bolt to rings or mounts are 45-65 and all this depends on the material of the rings or mounts. If its aluminum I would use the lower end of the numbers I posted if its for steel bases or rings or mounts I would run towards the higher side of the numbers I posted here. Either way at the end as you install the caps might want to put on a small drop of blue loctite DO NOT USE the RED stuff you will regret it.

I dont see a caliber posted but I would grab a box of match ammo and give that a try and see if it improves your groups. Also might want to start thinking about saving a few coins to buy a better stock. That factory stock is garbage. Next would be a upgraded trigger. After all this you will truly see how good your rifle can shoot if you do your part as the shooter :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts