Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
folks, what model of 700 (and scope) would you suggest for +500 yard varmint shooting? one person suggested a LEUPOLD 4.5X14 TACT. SCOPE, would that be a good choice?

we have small caliber 22-250, .243 etc..... but as the coyotes get smarter through the winter need to reach out a little further.

Was planning on going with .308 round, we have heavy winds and the occasional 700 yard shots come up. but open to suggestions....

i dont want to skimp on quality and dont mind spending good money for a solid rig and keep the coyotes out of the livestock!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mike said:
folks, what model of 700 (and scope) would you suggest for +500 yard varmint shooting? one person suggested a LEUPOLD 4.5X14 TACT. SCOPE, would that be a good choice?

we have small caliber 22-250, .243 etc..... but as the coyotes get smarter through the winter need to reach out a little further.

Was planning on going with .308 round, we have heavy winds and the occasional 700 yard shots come up. but open to suggestions....

i dont want to skimp on quality and dont mind spending good money for a solid rig and keep the coyotes out of the livestock!

A .308 would serve you well even out past 700yrds. depending on how you do you shooting would depend on which model...i.e: stationary,stalk, etc..I think you would be happy with a 700 LTR(light tactical rifle) in .308. as for optics, you cant really go wrong with a leupold. a 14x vari-x III tactical would be the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well, I'm partial to the .243 for long range shooting. Rather than spend money on another rifle, I'd rebarrel the 243 that you have with an 8 twist 243 or .243 Ackley Improved barrel, You will be able to take coyotes out to 1000 yard easy with it. The Ackley will drive 105 AMAX bullets at 3000 FPS. They have a BC of .500. At 500 yards it will drop about 60 inches and the 308 with a 170 SMK has a BC of .505 but only runs around 2600 FPS so it drops 74 1/4 inches at 500 yards. In a ten MPH wind the .243 will need 2.8 minutes of correction and the .308 will need 31/4 minutes. Long range shooting is all about BC.

My solution has been to call the coyotes in closer. If the dying rabbit call fails to work, try a Turkey call with a decoy. No matter which call I use, I like to have a decoy out to take his attention away from me.

ETA: 4.5 - 14 scope would work fine.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'd try to find an older 700VS or Sendero in .25-06, put on a 4.5-14 or 6.5-20 VX III Leupold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
jerrschmitt said:
Well, I'm partial to the .243 for long range shooting. Rather than spend money on another rifle, I'd rebarrel the 243 that you have with an 8 twist 243 or .243 Ackley Improved barrel, You will be able to take coyotes out to 1000 yard easy with it. The Ackley will drive 105 AMAX bullets at 3000 FPS. They have a BC of .500. At 500 yards it will drop about 60 inches and the 308 with a 170 SMK has a BC of .505 but only runs around 2600 FPS so it drops 74 1/4 inches at 500 yards. In a ten MPH wind the .243 will need 2.8 minutes of correction and the .308 will need 31/4 minutes. Long range shooting is all about BC.

My solution has been to call the coyotes in closer. If the dying rabbit call fails to work, try a Turkey call with a decoy. No matter which call I use, I like to have a decoy out to take his attention away from me.

Jerry,
Kill coyotes easily at 1000 yards? What rig are you shooting and what kind of groups do you get at that distance? I'd love to have one! I can't see it with a factory rifle.

I think the .243 is the best choice too.

·
Registered
526 Posts
ba_50 said:
jerrschmitt said:
snipped
In a ten MPH wind the .243 will need 2.8 minutes of correction and the .308 will need 31/4 minutes. Long range shooting is all about BC.

Jerry,
Kill coyotes easily at 1000 yards? What rig are you shooting and what kind of groups do you get at that distance? I'd love to have one! I can't see it with a factory rifle.

I think the .243 is the best choice too.
First I'll edit my above coments. That should be 28 minutes of correction not 2.8. Then....You're right, you won't do it with a factory rifle.
This is my .243 Ackley Improved. Photo taken this year on our Praire dog shoot.

And this is how it shoots at 100 yards.

Right now I'm working with Sierra 100 gr Gameking bullets @ 3100 FPS

This dog was hit with a .243 75 gr NBT at 925 yards using a 4.5 - 14 VXIII.

Lots of room for long range shooting here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jerry,

What kind of barrel, trigger, and powder are you using? .272" should do very well at 1000. Have you actually tried it?

I started a post on 6mmbr.com asking about results with the .243 under .243 section. Might get some useful information out of it. Bob

·
Registered
526 Posts
ba_50 said:
Jerry,

What kind of barrel, trigger, and powder are you using? .272" should do very well at 1000. Have you actually tried it?

I started a post on 6mmbr.com asking about results with the .243 under .243 section. Might get some useful information out of it. Bob
I have two rifles, just alike except for caliber. Both are Remington 700 actions that have been trued. Barrels are 8 twist no turn neck Lilja 3 groove, Scopes are Leupold 6.5-20 VX3. The .243 Ackley has a Shilen 2 0z bench rest trigger and the 6BR has a 2 oz Jewell. Both stocks are Remington 40X take offs.

With the 100 SGK bullets I'm using 4831SC. Other bullets get different powders.

We didn't find any 1000 yard shots last time out because of all the rain. The grass was way high and you just couldn't see them past about 800 yards. Both rifles were built this year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jerry,

I meant on paper to check groups, but I guess you aren't into that.

Not saying a factory rifle isn't capable, but not likely either.

Thanks. Bob

·
Registered
526 Posts
ba_50 said:
Jerry,

Thanks. Bob
I'd be into it if we had any 1000 yad ranges around. Our longest local range is 600 yard and we do use a pipeling right of way to verify our drop tables. The best I've ever done on the pipeline was 6 1/2 inches but that doesn't happen every time. 8-9 inches is more normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
jerrschmitt said:
ba_50 said:
Jerry,

Thanks. Bob
I'd be into it if we had any 1000 yad ranges around. Our longest local range is 600 yard and we do use a pipeling right of way to verify our drop tables. The best I've ever done on the pipeline was 6 1/2 inches but that doesn't happen every time. 8-9 inches is more normal.

You will probably get it done this summer out West.
I thought there would be some replys about .243/1000 but nothing so I may have to specify 500 since they are more common. 500 would be a good test of factory rifle accuracy.

It's been a pleasure conversing with you. The last time I mentioned shooting coyotes out to 600. let alone 1000, two hardcases said it was unethical in no uncertain terms. Oh well.

You sure have nice equipment.

·
Registered
143 Posts
338 Lapua Magnum, ethical for as far as you can see. LOL.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
BadKarma said:
338 Lapua Magnum, ethical for as far as you can see. LOL.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm. George Orwell
“The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing...”- Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

hahahahahahaha then if your not satisfied upgrade to the 50BMG :D

as for the Ackley Improved .243 wouldnt you have to reload your rounds, or are there now factory Ackely Improved ammo available for sale ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
haha interesting , those big calibers if i could afford it id have 338Lm and a .50bmg, but the ultimate would be 'for me' - the 408 cheytac . it would cost a fortune i recon / custom rig, a top scope like s&b carl zeiss or nightforce then all the reloading kit ! youd be getting on to £10 thou !
that said i seen some interesting footage on youtube this guy was using a auto 40mm boom cannon , it was just horrible , he shot a manikin at about 50 yds ! you should see it type in 'FPSrussian' , hees crazy lol ..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dont be fooled into thinking a factory rifle ( modified slightly of course) wont reach WAY OUT and touch someone. Forget the sporter weight rigs...and go for the heavy barreled models.....free float the barrel...bed the action. Handload to get the most from your ammo and once in a while ya just have to change out the trigger. Ive been going the laminated wooden stock models because to me they are easier to bed and open up the barrel channel. VLS versions.

And for when the 243 cant generate enough steam....Im having an identical looking rifle made up in .260 caliber..same stock..etc..etc. For long distance beats the 308 all to the dickens and less recoil by a mile

1 - 16 of 16 Posts