Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is the skinny. I want to get a Remington 700 but I am stuck on which model to get. Below I will list the items that I plan to put on it then the two models I am looking at.

Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 BDC
Butler Creek Flip-Open Scopecover Eye Size 18
Butler Creek Flip-Open Scopecover Objective Size 30
Harris Bipod Rotating 6"-9"
Burris 420160 Xtreme Tac Low 1/4" 30mm Rings (Pair)
Warne Scope Mount M673 Remington 700 Short Action

I am torn between the 700 SPS Tactical and the 700 Police LTR. I know that both are 20" BBL's and the main diff between the two is the stock and the parkerizing and fluted BBL. I will be using this for hunting and punching holes through targets out to 600 - 1000 yards.

I can get the SPS for $570 and the Police LTR for $899 so the difference in price is $329. I guess the main question here is, is it worth the $329? If it is not that much diff then I will use the extra cash to go towards and ACOG 4X32 TA01 for my AR.

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd say the biggest most important difference would be the stock. The hogue that comes on the spa tac will flex a little out front. Mine still shot great with that. A stock upgrade would put you pretty even, but lessen the price gap.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would go for the LTR, but that's me spending your money. If you upgrade
to an HS stock your gonna end up about the same. In all reality they are
probably the same rifle minus the fluted barrel.
You won't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Man, you guys are either a lot tougher or a lot younger than I am... no way am I taking a HB rifle chasing elk around the hills...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am not so sure the guns would be the same?? (other then the stock) I went threw this with there shotguns last year and there are quite a few changes from a standard Rem 870 to the police models. I wonder if the police 700's are made to a little better standard? or have better QC? Maybe have to meet better accuracy out of the box? You may want to did deep on line on this one that's how I found the info on the 870 police shotgun changes over the standard 870.

·
Registered
143 Posts
From the Snipercentral review of the 700 SPS Varmint.

For about two decades now, the Remington 700P has been the most popular law enforcement sniping rifle, and one could probably even claim it to be the LE "standard". They are fairly affordable and have had a long track record of being accurate and easy to tune for even better performance. The 700P has gone through several development changes over the years, going from the custom shop to mass produced, to lengthening the barrel by 2" to introducing the LTR, to introducing new calibers. And the 700P is still the number one used rifle in LE sniping. It is also known that the 700P shares the same barreled actions as the varmint lineup, the same actions, same barrels, etc. (Except the .223 rifles which have a different rate of twist). So, when Remington announced an affordable varmint rifle for 2007, the SPS Varmint (SPS-V), and a SPS tactical rifle, many people were smiling. If the barreled action was the same as the P's and other Varmint rifles, then performance should be quite well. If the core is good, than it would be a great rifle to start building on. Well, of course, we need to do our part to examine the possibilities, so we ordered up a Remington 700 SPS Varmint rifle in .308 to see what we could find out about these rifles.

From the Snipercentral review of the 700P and LTR.

The Remington 700P is a very nice sniper rifle for the money. This "Entry Level" rifle is quite capable of shooting .5 MOA right out of the box (.75 MOA is more common). This rifle has all the right features for the right price. It uses a HS Precision stock with palm swells and an aluminum bedding block. The actual action and barrel are the same that are used on Remingtons varmint rifles, with the difference mainly in the stock. Packaged combinations, known as the 700P Tactical Weapons System (TWS) can be bought from the factory and includes a carrying case, Harris Bi-Pod and a Leupold Veri-X III 3.5-10x Tactical Scope with Duplex reticle. The package has some other goodies

One could probably assume the same was true for the LTR and SPS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your input so far. So as I am taking it the biggest difference is the stock. Now with that being said how much would it cost to upgrade the stock to an HS stock?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Booseman said:
Thank you all for your input so far. So as I am taking it the biggest difference is the stock. Now with that being said how much would it cost to upgrade the stock to an HS stock?
Figure about $250 give or take $50 bucks....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that I will just go ahead and get the STS Tactical and use the extra monies towards the ACOG for the AR. I dont think that the added extra's will be all that huge in my shooting. I will not be using this for competition just hunting and punching holes through a piece of paper or hitting steal.

Again, thanks to everyone for their in-put and advice, it has helped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have one more question for all the experts out there. Do I need to buy anything special to attach a Harris Bi-Pod to the SPS Tactical?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Booseman said:
I do have one more question for all the experts out there. Do I need to buy anything special to attach a Harris Bi-Pod to the SPS Tactical?
No you don't....it will attach at the forward sling stud on the forearm. You will be good to go!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts