Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another new guy here. I have been offered a space in an advanced marksmanship class that a very talented local shooter offers from time to time, so I needed a rifle up to the task, but on a budget. I live on the flatest part of the plains, and was concerned about the 308 bouncing over to the neighbors place, so I settled for the 223. Not many real ranges out here in the middle of nowhere. I have set my own up out back that we marked out to 250yds. I haven't had the time to do alot of practicing just yet, only had 30 rounds through the rifle so far. But I am fairly happy with the reseults so far all things considered. I shot a 2" group at 200yds last night prone from the back of my pickup, since it is terribly muddy here right now. I believe it would have been much better, but I had my 2 dogs in the back seat and could see the panting in my scope. Still shooting the cheap-o reminton $10 a box stuff too. I had to settle for a BSA scope that I had laying around. It is 4-12 by 44mm, but I'm planning on an upgrade as funds allow. I did however spring for the Burris signature rings.

The rifle as it stands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ammo is the $9.99 green box remington. My range consists of a mile and a half dirt road that leads out the back of our property. All I did was mark it off every 50' with flags and set up a target holder. Low-tech *******.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My one suggestion would be to fit a quality 1 piece scope base as opposed to the 2 piece setup you have now. It will help keep everything lined up and more solid. Look no further than EGW for a quality base.. I have one on my .308SPS and my next rifle will get one too.

Other than that, good shooting.. Keep practicing, and if you spring for the good expensive off the shelf ammo, let us know how it does!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'd love to be out practicing right now, but it doesn't ever seem to stop raining here in the midwest this year. I doubt that I spring for any high priced off the shelf ammo, as I have some friends that will custom reload whatever I like as soon as I get a few empties built up. I'm having trouble finding anything over 55 grains without breaking the bank anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tell you what, that rubber stock has got to go. With the bipod/monopod combination there is so much squish and quiver it's making me crazy. Also, I ran a few PMC's though tonight, and they performed nearly identicaly to the Remingtons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts