Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love this forum, I am new here and wanted to post a picture of my project. This one is a 308 and when I am all done I want to build a 300 Win Mag. Please let me know what you think

700 SPS 308
Nikon optics
Coate Stock
Harris bi-pod
Choate Stock

Left to be done

bolt blueprint
bolt handle
flute the bolt

and anything else you guys can think of?

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
welcome

i'd glass bed the stock if i were you, maybe get the barrel thread for a brake or suppressor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stock came with aluminum pillar bedding, should I still do the glass bedding as well? I would like a brake for it and am looking at the one from Bader Ord. Going to have all my bolt work done by Kampfeld Custom. I love the way it shot out of the box but right now it does pretty well and I feel like I am almost there. Thanks for the relpy I am always open to advice from more seasoned shooters and builders.

·
Registered
477 Posts
that stock should be an all aluminum bedding block, not just pillar bedded. (i used to have one on an old 700 i built...great stock, i loved it) but yes, i'd still bed it, at least where the recoil lug is. it'll tighten everything up and squeeze out a few thousands of an inch on your groups. it's around $30 for the kit and takes maybe 4 hours, no reason not to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right it is a full bedding, I guess there is nothing to loose and I might as well. Good chance to learn at the same time. My son says he hate the way it looks...what are your thought? I know it is ultimately my choice and the gun is a shooter but I am just wondering.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i loved the stock personally. i had to sell mine unfortunely, wish i still had it. but i was unemployed at the time and needed the money to pay rent.

the stock shoots great in my opinion. very little felt recoil. i wouldnt want to drag it around the woods all day, but for target shooting it's great.

with something like a gun, i want it to function correctly before i worry about what it looks like.

here's a good how-to. it'll give you an idea of what to do. the stuff i use is called Acraglass. you can find it online or sometimes at local gun shops. it's all about the prep, so go slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMsxHL3nIZQ

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'd maybe upgrade your scope and rings (and maybe add a one piece mount) before any fluting, etc. From the photo, it looks like you have the basic Weaver mounts. They'll work for your once a year deer hunter, but I'd throw on something a bit more strong and beefy like Leupold MK4's, Burris XTR's, or something similiar. I run the Burris XTR's and they can be had for a little over $50. A good one piece mount can be had from EGW for about $40. A decent quality scope (don't have to spend a ton) with turrets will be a lot nicer/easier than something with the screw caps. You'll find the longer range stuff MUCH easier by becoming a turret turner like most of us. Either way, you've got a good setup and you'll find yourself capable of some great accuracy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone got any ideas on a good scope set up for around 300? I know I know I want a Nightforce but one thing at a time

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am getting ready to press the checkout button...one quick question...is it worth a hundred bucks for the side focus knob? The one for 299 has all the same specs but is rear focus

·
Registered
173 Posts
That question is up to you.. are you going to be continually changing focus from say.. 100yds to 500yds and back and forth or are you going to be shooting mainly at say 100yds, then maybe 200yds, maybe 500yds? If you can see yourself changing back and forth a hundred times in 10 minutes then sure, the side focus might be worth it. Otherwise, the AO should do you alright.

To me it's more of a matter of convenience. They both have the same function, just one is technically easier to use as you need to lift your head up, not reach all the way to the end of your scope.

EDIT: After realizing the scope is a fixed 10x, and the focus is at the rear, again it's just a matter of whether you want to lift your head way up to see over the rear bell or move it to the side.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i didnt wanna spend the extra $100 for the side focus. i found a couple reviews that said the side focus messed up on a few scopes, not too big of a deal, but i didnt wanna deal with it. maybe they dont all have problems, i dont know.

plus, the group buy i found didnt have the side focus model on it.

with the rear focus, you dont need to move your head to focus it. just turn the knob one way or another until the target is focused.

use this link to buy it though:
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-KIT-P50224.aspx

you get the scope, butler creek lens caps and a sunshade all for $299

·
Registered
600 Posts
Get set up with a quality base, rings and optic then worry about the rest of the stuff. A quality optic is just as important if not more so in the precision shooting world than the rifle itself. Once your done with that the other stuff is pretty easy. Threading a muzzle for a brake doesn't take long and is pretty easy for any smith with his head on straight to do. Same goes for switching the bolt handle. You can even do it yourself if your up to it. I'd also recommend a good trigger like a Jewell or a Timney. The X-Mark Pro will eventually brake on ya especially if you start messing with the adjustments. Personally I would ditch the "Ultimate Sniper" stock and go with a chassis like the McRee. Once you get to that point just shoot and once you toast your barrel look into replacing it with a match barrel and having your action trued while your at it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes this is my first time around and I am working through it. I think so far I started with the right gun as a base. I know I am perhaps getting some of my priorities backwards and maybe not getting things in the right order. I will lern and adjust as I go and the input from those of you with lots of experience is very much appreciated. I see this gun as a 3 year gun and then I will know exactly what to do and budget for my dream gun in a few years and hopefully will have good info to share myself one day. Thank you all and I am always open to good info , this is a great hobby and I feel like you can never know too much. All of that being said 3,5,8 hundred yards is the standard I want to shoot am I on the right track so far?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New question....bought a Jewel trigger today for my gun...I hear lots of info on trigger pull weight and I know that to some degree it is a personal preference issue, what do you recommend as a good starting place and safe as well?

I also am wondering if I need a muzzle break at all the recoil is not an issue for me so I am wondering if there is any other advantage?

I am also doing some vids for myself as I trigger pull and looking for ways to improve and ensure I am not dragging wood or poking at the trigger, it has helped me to uncover some flaws in my setup, I recommend it as a tool for new precision shooters like myself, as I have been shooting for years and seem to have some bad habits to break.

·
Registered
477 Posts
practice is the best way to develop a good trigger pull. i just take a few spent cartridges, lay down on the living room floor and practice breathing and trigger pulling. trying to make sure i do it the same way every time i pull the trigger. consistency = accuracy

·
Registered
173 Posts
I keep my Timney set on 3.5lbs. Some may consider it a tad on the heavy side, but I use a 7lb trigger on my AR15 and the handgun I carry is between 8-10lbs. Regardless, I personally consider between 3-4lbs optimal. It's not too heavy you have to press hard, but it's not too light it accidentally goes off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did 3 pounds even and when filming it and watching and the feeling it seems right but not so light that I am dealing with an accidental discharge or bolt closing discharge. I actually like the SS stock...I know some think it is a little corny but I love how heavy it is and it feels good to me so that is what matters right... unless there is a good reason to change it...thoughts?

·
Registered
173 Posts
The way I see it is, it's your rifle, you have to live with it and use it. If your gear works for you and does what you want it to, then you made the right choice. Some prefer an AICS, some prefer a McMillan, some like wood, and some are happy with whatever came with the rifle.

Personally, I probably wouldn't own one as I don't like the way they look, but to each his own. The SS has an aluminum block and free floats the barrel, so it doesn't necessarily have any advantages or disadvantages over any other aluminum block-containing stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Working a budget and it is my first go around so I am learning as I go and love the feedback from the more experienced shooters as well

1 - 20 of 24 Posts