Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am a new member to the Remington 700 forum and I would liketo introduce myself. I am a long time resident of New Mexico, a lifelong hunter, outdoorsman, and gun enthusiast. I am a long time member of the Rimfirecentral forum and I especially like .22 rifles but I also like centerfire rifles. I have been a Winchester model 70 fan for a long time but I just bought my first model 700 and I'd like to find out some things about it. I recently purchased a 1976 Remington 700 BDL heavy barrel varmint rifle in .223 Rem. I bought this rifle for general varmint hunting and paper punching. I am curious if any of you have experience with this particular model (Varmint) and caliber. I understand that the barrel twist rate is 1:12". I'd like to know what bullet weight is appropriate and optimal for this ROT in the 150-200 yard range. I would also like to know any other information that you folks care to share about this model and caliber rifle.

I suppose I was incorrect whern I said that this is my first model 700. I own three Remington 40X rimfire rifles that I use frequently for silhouette and ARA competition at my local gun club.

Thanks very much in advance for your information and assistance, I'm glad to join this forum!

Kix

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Kix, welcome to the forum! Always great to have another shooter to talk with!
I don't have any experience with your rifle, but I do recall some members that have either
A similar setup or possibly the same. I'm sure they will chime in once they get online!
If you have any other general questions id be glad to try and help you out.

Be warned though, we like seeing pics of new people's toys so. ::hint hint::: :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jasonbourne,

I haven't received the rifle yet, it should arrive within a week or so. I LOVE rto post pictures of my rifles so I'm sure you folks will have plenty of opportunities to look at my considerable horde of rifles. Here are a few of my 40X rimfires:

This is a first year production (1955) Remington 40X in a custom Fajen thumbhole stock. The original owner was a cabinet maker and made the custom case:

Another 40XB rifle from 1964. This one is a CMP Rescue:

Kix

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello jason,

It's a 1950's vintage Lyman Super Target Spot...a very rare and valuable scope, almost as valuable as the rifle itself. These are American made scopes similar to the German made Unertl target scopes. This style of scope has a fixed reticle and is adjusted externally. The micrometers at the rear of the scope actually move the entire scope body as opposed to moving an internal reticle like most modern scopes. This way the reticle always stays centered in the optics avoiding all kinds of chromatic and spherical abberation. It's old but good technology. The Marine Sniper Carlos Hathcock used a Unertl 8 power scope on his sniper rifle in Vietnam in the 1960's. The one pictured on my 40X is a 20 power.

Kix

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello All,

I took this new rifle to the range today and Whew...what a tack driver! I was able to put three rounds in a target at 200 yards that you could cover with a quarter!!! This was using Remington 50 grain hollow points...standard ammo available at Wal-Mart. I can only imagine what this rifle would do with match grade ammo!
Well, my first experience with a Remington 700 has been quite a surprise...I'm thrilled with the rifle.

Kix

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kix,

First, gratz on the great shooting varmint gun! Sounds like you have added another fine weapon to your inventory. I am also in the New Mexico area, though it appears that we shoot at different clubs. Welcome to the forums and welcome to the wonderful world of M700's.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I was off on a camping trip when your first post was made so I missed it.

Love those 40X photos. The wooden case was very popular years ago and I've often though of making one for my rifle. I just don't have the skill to make a square box much less a fitted gun case.

Here is a photo of my 700V. It's a 1987 production in .223 with a Leupold VX2 3X9.

I've had a couple of them over the years and they all shot very well. From coyotes in Nevada, prairie dogs in New Mexico and the Dakotas to chipmunks in Wisconsin, they have never let me down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Jasonbourne, 700sage and jerrschmitt,

Thanks for the welcome and the comments. I have been a silhouette shooter and ARA competitor for a long time in the rimfire arena. My experience with centerfire has been limited to hunting rifles, mostly Winchester model 70's in 243, 25-06, 270, 308 and 30-06. I currently have mostly 25-06 and .308 rifles as I hunt elk and pronghorn antelope here in NM. Recently I was introduced to prairie dog shooting and coyote hunting by a friend. This is the reason I began to look for a .223. I happened across this 1976 BDL Varmint model 700 and I was advised by several people that I would like it...they were right! It is a beautiful rifle with that certain "feel" to it. From my first experience at the range I can tell that this one is going to be fun to play with trying out different loads, bullets, etc. I understand that this model has a 1:12" ROT. This would limit the bullet weight to about 60 grains is this correct? Any information about commercially available ammo would be much appreciated!

Kix

PS: NICE Shooting!!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kix,

I would say your guess about bullet weight is close. However, it's my experience that you never can tell. People used to say that the 6mm wouldn't stabalize a 100 grain bullet for the very reason you are wanting to limit your loads. The fact is, most of the 6mm's would stabalize the 100 grain bullet. Some wouldn't. It's all a matter of what the tube on your gun prefers. You may find that it loves 70 grain rounds. The nice part about this is that you get to experiment to find out! :D

Good luck, and good shooting!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks 700Sage,

I have been reading up on the ballistic properties of various .223 loads and how they perform in barrels with different ROT. It seems from what I have read that anything above around 65 grains requires a slower ROT like 1:9" and that .223 rifles with the more common 1:12" ROT typically do not stabilize projectiles above 65 grains very well.
Having said that, I completely agree with your statement that all rifles are different and frequently things happen that throw all these general rules out of the window. I have a box of .223 match grade ammo with 77 grain bullets. I'll try them out next time I go to the range and see what happens. From my personal experience with the only other .223 that I have ever owned (a Win. model 70 carbine) 50-55 grain bullets seem to work best, but you never know.

Kix

1 - 12 of 12 Posts