Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm a new member and just got my first Remington 700. My father-in-law gave me his Rem, 700 284 win. Lame question, but I know finding the win 284 is tough and is there any other factory ammo that can be shot though this caliber?

·
Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
Welcome to the forum from New York. It is called .284 Winchester because it was designed by Winchester, but in the past there have been other manufacturers that have made it. Same as calibers like .308 Winchester, where the Winchester name has been removed for most discussions. Not sure if NORMA is making it any more, but you could Google it.

Best would be to make sure you get a supply of brass and a set of reloading dies unless you are going to rechamber the rifle, most easily with a new barrel.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum from New York. It is called .284 Winchester because it was designed by Winchester, but in the past there have been other manufacturers that have made it. Same as calibers like .308 Winchester, where the Winchester name has been removed for most discussions. Not sure if NORMA is making it any more, but you could Google it.

Best would be to make sure you get a supply of brass and a set of reloading dies unless you are going to rechamber the rifle, most easily with a new barrel.

Bob
Thank you very much Bob!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
The .284 Winchester is a pretty good kick butt cartridge,Winchester makes a limited run of this ammo once a year.for collectible value I’d leave it alone and embrace it not a lot of these out there.

·
Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
HSM and Black Dog are both making .284 Winchester Ammo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can either sell your rifle and purchase another in a caliber whose ammo is easily available, or buy some .284 Win brass and reloading equipment to make your own. I doubt you would have much difficulty selling the 700 in 284 Win. Your rifle caliber is excellent and very interesting, but it's not a consumer-friendly caliber. Many other chamberings will duplicate its performance. The 280 is a long action offering using the same bullet and same velocities. A 270 is very close and much easier to find ammo for.

·
Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
Or you could rebarrel in another caliber and safe the barrel you have to convert back at a later date if you wanted to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts