Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I've been lurking these forums for a few months in preperation for my 700 purchase and finally decided to register today.

Went out to the range yesterday to try it out for the first time. Groupings weren't horrible with cheap ammo and for my first time ever shooting a high powered rifle. However i know the groupings can be worked on. I had a different problem though. This is also my first time using a bolt action rifle so this could be user error, but i would start by putting in 2-3 rounds at a time in the magazine. After the first round it seems akward putting in the rest and it would seem like i would sometimes push the round in too far foward or backward of the magazine (kinda hard to explain) Regardless, sometimes, usually after the first round was fired and ejected and i go to move the bolt forward again to insert the next round, the bolt would skip right over the round and close in the chamber without ever having loaded a round. I would then pull the bolt back and try again and it would skip right over the round again. Almost seems like the magazine was just not pushing the round up high enough. I would stick my fingers int he magazine and move them around some then they would usually pop into place and i could load the next round.

I know some of this may be hard to understand because i rushed it so if anyone needs some further explanation let me know. Only thinkg i can think of is maybe the magazine is just tight because its a brand new rifle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Hey welcome to the forum! Take a peek it the mag well by opening the bottom plate and see if there is anything obstructing the mag follower or spring from coming all the way up the mag well. Carefully insert the follower and spring assembly back and close the bottom plate. Check operation of follower and spring with a poke of your finger to see if it moves freely....if so load the mag with dummy rounds and cycle the action to check for proper operation. If you still have a problem my reccommodation would be to call Remington for a warranty issue since you are dealing with a new rifle here. If anyone else may have other input on this problem please chime in. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
308isgreat said:
Hey welcome to the forum! Take a peek it the mag well by opening the bottom plate and see if there is anything obstructing the mag follower or spring from coming all the way up the mag well. Carefully insert the follower and spring assembly back and close the bottom plate. Check operation of follower and spring with a poke of your finger to see if it moves freely....if so load the mag with dummy rounds and cycle the action to check for proper operation. If you still have a problem my reccommodation would be to call Remington for a warranty issue since you are dealing with a new rifle here. If anyone else may have other input on this problem please chime in. Good luck!
Ok so i may have found the problem or this could be perfectly normal and just be my lack of knowledge of the rifle. If i push perfectly down in the middle of the follower it will come right back up normally, if i push even slightly to the back or front of it, it kinda locks in that position. I've included a couple of pics to better explain.










 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok well after that lengthy post i tried actually loading rounds after putting the mag spring and follower back in and it seems to works flawlessly. I have a feeling i may not have set the spring correctly last time i opened it up even tho it seems like it can go only one way with little adjustments. Regardless it seems to work fine now. Last question. is it normal for the magwell to scratch the casings. I loaded a round directly into the chamber and ejected it with no scratches. But if i put it in the mag and load one to the chamber from there and then eject its got about two descent sized scratches on it. I think ill shoot it a few more times and see if it gives me any more problems. If it does i may contact remington.

Oh and heres some pics of the actual rifle!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·


Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now granted these are the rounds i tested loading and ejecting multiple times thats why there is multiple scratches. But even after one cycle of being loaded and then ejected there is atleast one scratch. However its only when it comes from the magazine. If i load a round directly into the chamber and eject there are no marks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
Thats normal stuff it will not harm anything. Its really hard to tell from inside while the round is chambering but it seems to be either the bolt that causes that or the feed ramp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
ok by the looks after I ran a few rounds through the rifle its the bolt that does it to the round that is next. I dont use the mag much if im bench shooting and when I'm hunting I usually release the bottom mag plate.




Also welcome to the forum!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Winxp_Man said:
ok by the looks after I ran a few rounds through the rifle its the bolt that does it to the round that is next. I dont use the mag much if im bench shooting and when I'm hunting I usually release the bottom mag plate.




Also welcome to the forum!
Ok that actually makes perfect sense with the bolt. Thank you!

I have a feeling the whole mag problem is going to resolve it self with more use also. THe more i run rounds through it the better it is feeling. Now just gotta break it down and clean it before i go back to the range friday after i get off my 12 hour night shift! x_x

Thanks again to everybody for all the help and the great welcome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
I started a SPS Tactical Picture thread if you want to post the pics there

the best way to post is
and the pics will show up a little bigger and you wouldn't have to make them a link for someone to click on them. Just a thought :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Winxp_Man said:
I started a SPS Tactical Picture thread if you want to post the pics there

the best way to post is
and the pics will show up a little bigger and you wouldn't have to make them a link for someone to click on them. Just a thought :D

Will do, I figured it would be a little easier for everyone to see the pics in thumnail version. But i didnt realize it took so long to load and took you to another page. Thanks again! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
The scratches are coming from the round moving forward into the chamber and the case rim rubbing across the case below in the mag. This is normal and dosen't pose a problem. Just an unsightly cosmetic thing.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top