Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a stock rem 700 .270 and I’m looking to replace stock, action, trigger, barrel, etc. is changing the caliber an easy thing to do? If so what would be a good caliber to change to. I would like to have a a finished gun that could potentially shoot around 1000 yards. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks(y) (please don’t say .338:ROFLMAO:)

·
Super Moderator
1,447 Posts
Welcome to the forum from New York and a 1,000 Yard Bench Rest Shooter. Changing the caliber is easy if you don't mind removing a brand new barrel and replacing it. Hope you didn't pay more than the cost of a 700 Action as it sounds like that is all you are going to save. If you have it blueprinted you will probably have spent as much as a new entry level custom action, but maybe you got one of the package specials.

My go to 1,000 yard rifle is 6.5x47 Lapua and my back up is a 6mm Dasher. Both are popular on the 1,000 yard benches. They have the same bolt face (so a ,308 will work too) so they will work with your unmodified bolt. The 30WSM is also popular.

6mmBR Norma wil also work, but not as good as the others.

What ever you decide, for 1,000 yard shooting I assume you are a reloader, which is what it will take.

For a bench rest rifle I would go with a Bigs-N-Andy trigger, but if you don't have the budget for that then a Jewel. For a regular 700 I am a Timney Calvin Elite kind of guy but not for Bench Rest.

For 1,000 yard Palma and F Class, I shoot a Chassis built on an accurized 700, Krieger 29.5" Barrel, Bigs-N-Andy trigger and with a barrel that is chambered for the .308 with the free bore and twist rate optimized for 155 to 168 grain projectiles. Works great.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
536 Posts
You do realize that you have listed the entire rifle? But if changing calibers is the intent, then the barrel and chamber is what needs to be changed. The action stays the same. The 270 is a 30-06 based cartridge that is actually capable of 1000yd hits but is somewhat limited in bullet selection. Since the action is a long action, it is advisable to stay with a long action cartridge. The 280 Remington (7mm Remington Express) might be the best choice. Excellent choice of bullets and great ballistics. The 280 AI is an improved version and an option.

You didn’t mention if you intend to hand load or if this would be a target rifle or hunter. If you are looking at hunting only the 270 may be the best choice due to its popularity as a hunting round. The availability of ammunition is key. If you handload that issue goes away.

Most popular newer cartridges are short action like the creedmores or or long action with magnum diameter bolt face cartridges. The standard Long 270 action can be modified to handle these but require work on the feed ramps and in some cases a new bolt.

You may well be better off selling this rifle and using the proceeds to build a more suitable rifle chambered to the cartridge you choose.

Reactions: Freefloat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if I continue to use the .270, would it be worth it to change the barrel for something heavier? The barrel it has on it is light and not very long. I only paid 100$ for the gun so I’m not concerned with keeping anything except for the action. I bought it to rebuild it.

·
Super Moderator
1,447 Posts
I would shoot it and see how it groups, especially if you are going to reload for it. A better trigger, bedding the action and floating the barrel will help and be a lot less than a complete rebuild.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sell what you have and buy what you want starting with the right caliber action and barrel. A stock swap is a relatively low cost upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts